Possible fake profile

Ally43
Level 2
North Coogee, Australia

Possible fake profile

Hi All

I have instant book for guests that have a verified profile and previous good reviews from other hosts. “Ryan” fit this criteria so was able to book my house. I checked his profile and found it was of someone scuba diving, it could have been anyone. His profile also only said which State he was from, WA where my house is. I messaged to find out details of stay and I said that guests are required to show phitographic ID prior to or at check in. He said that was hard to arrange and was happy to give me a cash bond. I declined and said bond wasnt necessary, I just wanted the photographic Id of the 6 guests staying and  pointed  his photo on profile could be anybody.  He said he had many great reviews. He does have 25 reviews from same hosts that say the same thing “ welcome back”

For someone who lives in same state he has many “staycations, almost fortnightly.

I got a call from Airbnb a few hours later saying Ryan wanted to know if he could get a refund for cancellimg because I was asking for vaccination proof. This was easily shown to be incorrect once the Airbnb officer checked our messages. I have a strict cancellation policy . Ryan cancelled and lost $1200 aud because he couldnt or wouldnt show photographic ID, if this doesnt ring major  alarm bells I dont know what does! I reported him to Airbnb and they told me he can change photos to whatever he wants. WHAT IS THE POINT OF VERIFYING?? Anyone could have checked in and said they were Ryan and how would I know from a photo of a scuba diver.

i them contacted the police and found this very alarming information. People are setting up the “perfect” profile , that is used by multiple people using the profile name to sell and collect drugs. The majority of “Ryans” bookimgs are  short stays in the CBD at the same place, this is classic drug dealing behaviour. They pick properties that hosts do not interact much and certainly dont ask for photographic ID.

If the profile says the guest has been verified by showing Gov photo ID then Hosts should be abke to see that ID, especially if they can instant book because of it! Guest should have their profile temporarily suspended pending a report, Hosts have their properties suspended for far less!  A guest who refuses to show ID to a host d is prepared to lose money by doing so, is clearly guilty of something and AIRBNB has a duty of care to protect hosts.

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Ally43 If Ryan isn't kicking and screaming about the loss of $1200 then it is quite possible you are right and he is a drug dealer as I guess 1200 is chump change to them.

Exactly! And Airbnb allows it to happen