Possible scam

Lauren2938
Level 2
Oughtibridge, United Kingdom

Possible scam

I’m hoping this could help someone else or perhaps other hosts could shed some light. 

Earlier today I had someone message me all nicey nicey asking if 3 nights in September were available. I thought it seemed strange since it’s clearly available in the calendar, but sometimes you get these types of questions I guess.

I replied that they were available.

Her response was that before she could make the payment she wanted to check why there was a duplicate listing which was much cheaper and hosted by ‘Michelle’, followed by 2 links asking me which was the correct one. 

I obviously didn’t click them but I don’t believe either were correct Airbnb links and they certainly weren’t mine.

I replied to say that any other account was nothing to do with me but that if she wanted to book she’d need to accept my pre-approval, which would obviously be the correct one.

I then reported it to Airbnb. 

I’m hoping I’ve done the right thing- I’ve been hosting for just over a year and it’s the first time I’ve come across something like this! 

2 Replies 2

@Lauren2938  Yes, that's a known phishing scam. Good call on not following the links.

Lauren2938
Level 2
Oughtibridge, United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply Andrew! My gut instinct was that it was a scam. She is continuing to message me with links.. so I will block her. Hopefully it doesn’t catch anyone out.