Prior Guests Quarantining in Our Stay

Leigh515
Level 1
Sandy Springs, GA

Prior Guests Quarantining in Our Stay

We got a message today (7 days prior to our check-in) that the guests currently in our house have tested positive for COVID and need to quarantine in that house. 

We have flights booked, there is a very popular event in town, and nothing left to rent in our budget. CDC guidelines are 5 days of quarantine, but they have told our host they aren't leaving until 10 days of quarantine. 

Although I know they are in an unfortunate situation, they can't extend into dates we have already paid for. We acknowledged that we know they tested positive and are fine staying in the house after it has been cleaned which is standard protocol. Thank you for letting us know, but we still want our reservation honored. We are all triple vaxed and have antibodies and have accepted any risks involved. 

We have already spent hundreds on this trip and I am at a loss for what to do. Our AirBnb host is uncomfortable kicking them out and won't communicate with us any further. 

1 Reply 1
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Leigh515,

This is a sticky situation, but it appears that you have little choice but to have the host cancel your reservation (in this can you should not do it, because you'd lose at least the Airbnb service fee).  They will incur a penalty, and Airbnb will block their calendar until a few weeks after the current guest is supposed to leave (your reservation would have been canceled by ABB anyway once the host notified of the quarantining guest), and can provide documentation that place has been professionally cleaned.

It's unfortunate for you, but this may be a learning moment for readers of this thread.  This is a prime example that people should purchase travel insurance or use a credit card that provides this type of coverage whenever they travel from home no matter the distance, duration or destination.  

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center