Problems with Airbnb backup when renters are a problem

Martin3626
Level 2
Duluth, MN

Problems with Airbnb backup when renters are a problem

After one year and over 40 rentals I am left with the conclusion that Airbnb has no (zero) support for its hosts and is heavily weighted in favor of the misbehaving renters who damage and destroy things, or the renters who register two guest then have a party with 14 unregistered high school kids where the local police are called by the neighbors at 4 am with a noise complaint. Airbnb by its lack of support endorses these type of actions. Then when you do put in a claim, many weeks pass before a denial without a dialogue is received. Renting our real estate with Airbnb is purely a self preservation act with no support of backup by Airbnb. 

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Awful when this happens.

What measures have you put in place to vet your guests before allowing them to stay and what security do you have at your place like CCTV to monitor your place to ensure guests are not bringing in additional guests/pets/partying? @Martin3626 

Terrible for your neighbours that they are having to be disrupted until the early hours such that they have to call the police. Do they not have your contact details?

Frustrating that Airbnb hasn't processed your claim effectively - the guarantee is something I wouldn't rely on because of the many exclusions. Do you not have home insurance for STRs?

The word vet is interesting. Airbnb usually only makes available the name of the potential renter, city, and state. We have no access to age or other identifying information. When the possible renter name is searched on the internet, 20 people might have that name in the city. There are two ways the potential renter can rent, instant booking and request the host. You have no control over instant booking and are relying on Airbnb to vet the potential renter, which they do not do in-depth. When contacted with a question and select "preapproval," it takes all responsibility off Airbnb for renting. All Airbnb does is ensure the renter has a valid ID, nothing more; this is what they told me. A 15-year-old with a driver's permit can go around the instant booking and get a preapproval with deceit. Airbnb told me, "Yes, allow a 15-year-old to rent the home if there was a valid ID, and they when around instant booking with the host granting preapproval. I am open to how you are vetting these potential renters. If the vetting takes too long, even the good renters move on and rent something else.

If you want to read a blog with an Airbnb blog with a bunch of dissatisfied hosts go here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Problem-with-Airbnb-Host-Guarantee-hosts-beware/td-p/558... 

@Martin3626 We are all dissatified hosts here, all in the same boat. Until things change, as long as we choose to continue to list on Airbnb, we need to just figure out a better way to cope within the existing structure. The great thing about this forum is we can learn from each other how to do that.

Martin3626
Level 2
Duluth, MN

@Helen3 Cameras are in place, when unregistered guests are documents on video then turned into Airbnb, nothing happens other than denying the claim. The next door neighbor owns a very large vacation rental cleaning company, she knows how to get in touch with me and was the one that called the police. My main problems is not making claims against the guarantee, it is putting in a claim against the deposit. I take a $750 deposit then when unregistered guests use the property I put in a claim and get nothing. Below is a paragraph from my house rules. 

UNREGISTERED GUESTS

The home is for the exclusive use and enjoyment of those registered with the renter. At no time will the number of registered guests exceed four adults over age 16 with two children age 16 years or less (to include infants), a total of six individuals. All-access by unregistered individuals for any duration of time per day will incur the following fee. Under this agreement, the host will charge the renter $150 per unregistered individual entering the property per day for any length of time. The renter agrees to pay an unregistered guest fee(s) for any day one or more unregistered individuals enter the house. By renting this home, the renter agrees that the unilateral home owner's assertion alone will serve as the only evidence required to support the allegation that the renter has allowed access by unregistered individuals.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Martin3626,

It's unfortunate that you have to learn this lesson the hard way, but Airbnb doesn't collect a deposit.  The deposit amount that you listing is only what the guest may be charged in the event of damage.  Be sure to review the security deposit policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Also, Airbnb will not enforce any fees for breaking house rules, and will do nothing to help you with getting people to vacate your property other than cancel the reservation.  Since it appears that you are not onsite at the rental property or in close proximity, I recommend that you higher a co-host in the area to help with mitigating these types of situations, because they are likely to recur without a host having close by.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

Got a co-host. The woman next door owns a large vacation rental house cleaning company. She does a good job and could not be closer to the home. As far as the security deposit link you cited goes, things do not always work as advertised. In the house rules it states a fee for late check out. I sent Airbnb a video of a renter leaving 2 hours late with the time superimposed on it. The vacation rental cleaning company was waiting at the curb to clean the home. The bill for extra time sitting on the street waiting was sent to Airbnb with the video, claim denied. 

I do not believe what you just posted is true. I told the Airbnb representative that I had a $150 a day unregistered guest fee posted in the house rules. The Airbnb representative said to me that I needed to charge $150 per unregistered guest per day in the house rules then submit pictures of the unregistered guest when submitting the claim.

@Martin3626  The thing with Airbnb CS reps is, they are outsourced call center workers who more often than not don't even know Airbnb policy. You can't always trust what they tell you. You will occasionally deal with one who does know what they are taking about. This needs to change, and hopefully @Catherine-Powell is still working on improving the CS experience for hosts, as she has promised recently.

That said, it's true that if it's in your house rules, Airbnb should  back you up on it. It may take trying several times with different reps to achieve success. Again, unacceptable and needs to change. Always speak over chat rather than call, so you have a record of correspondence, can link to policy when needed, and cut and paste text from your house rules.

Still, prevention is the best course with Airbnb, since getting back up support is such a difficult and onerous process, often doomed to failure.  You're better off doing your utmost to cut down the potential for headaches in the first place. Regarding the extra guest issue, for example,  in my house rules I state "Maximum occupancy is 5. Up to 5 guests may be on the booking (with full names provided to me personally, not just to Airbnb), and those will be considered 'authorized'. A guest is any adult or child at the property, staying the night or visiting. No unauthorized guests on the property at any time. Disregarding this is cause for booking being terminated with no refund." Guests also know I have security cameras and live nearby (even if I didn't live nearby, it would be stated on my listing that I do). With all of that in place, I don't have to deal with the extra guest problem. 

@Martin3626 From the policy which Debra linked for you: 

"Before requiring a security deposit, hosts should understand that not all property damage caused by guests is within the terms of the Host Guarantee. Exclusions may include general cleaning, ordinary wear and tear, and non-physical damages like smoking fines and broken House Rules."

There are many downsides to listing on Airbnb, and the limitations of the SD is certainly up high on the list. Prevention is really the way to go on this platform. Better to outright prohibit unregistered guests. Simply and clearly communicate that they are not allowed, period. If a guest defies this, then the booking will be cancelled, with no refund. You need that in your house rules, and make sure guests know it. Make sure they know you have cameras, too.