Questions regarding Covid-19

Questions regarding Covid-19

Hello I’ve read Airbnb’s recent advice regarding Covid-19 and their extenuating circumstances policy but I’m still not sure if as a host my guest cancels I will still receive my full payment for the booking, I have several substantial payouts from guest bookings this year and I’m very worried I’ll suffer loss of income due to their cancellations.

I have insurance in place but it doesn’t cover my loss of income from cancellations.

Would/Could cancelling guests claim on their travel insurance so I’m not out of pocket, my property is in Rutland UK

Thank you for any positive constructive advice. 

2 Replies 2
Katie23
Level 3
Lake Oswego, OR

I can assure you, you will not be receiving any payment for those reservations. This policy favors the guests. Airbnb misses out on the service fees they would have made and the hosts misses out the income from the booking. It's a rough scene, but Airbnb provides no "host protections" in this case.

As a host I'm also unclear on the recent communication from Airbnb.  Is it the case that Airbnb are retrospectively changing the cancellation policy such that hosts, who would previously have had some protection via the cancellation policy, are having all protection taken away?

I have just received a payment on a cancelled booking, and would like to know if later Airbnb are going to charge this back.

It would be a great gesture from Airbnb if they would for example match any refund a host offers a guest, since all sides are losing out it seems only fair we share this burden. Airbnb with huge profits are well placed to help here, and doing so would also protect their customer base (both hosts and guests) many of whom may abandon the platform if getting through these tough times proves too much of a burden.