Reservation agreement violation

Reservation agreement violation

My listing states 2 guest maximum.   I accepted a booking with three guest after they pleaded with me.   Then they brought 4 guests.   So I  just dealt with it.   The place is so small.   Even 3 people it gets crowded.   4 is out of the question.    What are my other options here besides charging more for the extra guest ?   Can I cancel reservation right at check in ? 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

These guests were being disrespectful. @Tami264 

In your situation if they had turned up with four people I would have made it clear that when they booked they were told having three people would be an exception. I would have also confirmed that the fourth person not on the booking would need to find their own accommodation.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tami264   You don't say whether the guests are already in the place or not.  Remember, if they are cancelled [which you don't want to do yourself, but have Airbnb do as a neutral cancellation due to guest intending to break house rules with 4 people], they can still review you if the cancellation is the day the reservation starts or later.

If it is more than 24 hours before their trip, contact Airbnb and ask for a neutral cancellation.

Take this as a lesson, that many many people, when they see you are willing to bend your rules, will keep pushing.

Hi Mark thank you for the reply.    The guests came and went.    I can’t get anyone out of the Airbnb support team  to answer this question.  

Knowing the guest and I made the exception from our 2 guest limit to add a 3rd.  And I never would have accepted the reservation with a 4th 

So the question,,, at/during check in, 4 guests show up for an accepted 3 guest reservation.   What prey tell are my options ?

We even sent out our 2 day pre check in cheat sheet stating the reservation details, 3 guests, 6 nights, times, etc…

They violated my house rules by exceeding the guest limit.

Coupled with,,,  I’m using Airbnb terminology here A "Reservation Agreement Violation"(basically the same thing).

If this happens again I just want to be prepared,  On The Spot. 

Am getting no where with Airbnb about this.   Any insight would be much appreciated Mark .  
Thanks Heeps 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Tami264 

Your best option is prevention. I took a list at your listing. Any guest (including myself) would be thinking, why not 4? There are two bedrooms, two queen beds, two bathrooms, plenty of sitting both outside and inside, and even a table place setting for a party of 4. These people are disrespectful, yes, but many people don't think it is a big deal until is it (i.e not being allowed to check-in.) 

Your place looks romantic and ideal for a couple. I would list one queen bed and one bedroom. Show photos of only one bed. Make your listing look unattractive to more than two. You don't need to physically remove the bedroom/furniture; couples will be pleasantly surprised when they arrive to find more space than they were expecting.

Thank you for your kind words.    They were very helpful.  We have had many 2 guests that were not couples.   Friends , brothers, sisters, bone fisherman etc…. Thanks again.