Revenge review

Nina1093
Level 3
West Vancouver, Canada

Revenge review

I had very messy guests who left a giant mess and 6 loads of laundry and broke a door handle in the new condo I host. When I brought up I might send them a request for extra cleaning and repairs costs they denied everything - even said there must have been someone after them in the condo. I was afraid of them leaving a negative review so I didn’t pursue my extra costs because they were denying everything and we all know airbnb doesn’t always reimburse. Anyways, they left a 1 star review - my first ever 1 star rating effectively knocking down my overall rating from 4.93 to 4.91. Airbnb told me the review will stand even though it’s clearly a revenge review. 

22 Replies 22

@Sarah977 @Mark116  thank you for your perspective. I've also felt the same way about how much trash as in packaging there is to take out. I've only been hosting this year and guest will not touch anything left in the fridge even if its not opened, expect a can of beer, and some guest have left me a note that food and beers left in the fridge. I think they may have been from a dry county or maybe don't like alcohol. That's a good point about asking them not to put a bunch of half eaten stuff in the trash. I also prefer them not taking out the trash so I don't have to go get another trash can with a bag for the odds and ends I toss while cleaning. 

I was really stressed about this couple though so glad I haven't left a negative review. A few towels were left on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet and sink. Didn't ruin them but that was a first. I guess she is one of those lady's who have fuzzy mat around the toilet? But nothing got damaged. 

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll leave some extra bath mats and label some towels as stained in a box. 

@John5097  The towels on the floor really irritates me also, or wet towels on the beds, but then there are some hosts who tell their guests to pile the towels on the floor when they leave.  That seems crazy to me, wet towels in a pile=bad smell, so I message everyone and tell them to hang the towels up on the bathroom door hooks, and even then some don't do it.  I've never had anyone complain if I left some beers or something like that in the refrigerator, we also do leave basic condiments like ketchup, mustard, and pancake syrup and no one has complained about that either...but I'm sure one day someone will. We had taken them all out post pandemic, but literally not one single person ever asks about any cleaning protocol, so we put them back. 

Great suggestion for towel hooks. I just added a bakers rack in the bathroom and there is room for hooks. 
@Mark116 

Ugh, those fuzzy bath mats and the matching toilet lid covers give me the willys.

Do you maybe have a neighbor with a dog you could give all the food scraps left behind to? At least it wouldn't just go to waste.

@John5097

@Sarah977 yeah that was my reaction.. people like that end up tripping on stuff like that.. just weird.. I don't think people would take scraps for their pets..  I can only control what I eat and be a good influence.. there is a recycling bin.. and everyone has the option with their own decissions and behavior and we are all at different stages in our life with the choices we make.. thank you for your suggestions though, I'll deffinately keep them in mind when interacting with friends.. 

Dawn618
Level 2
Woodley, United Kingdom

@Nina1093 you should have made the claim to Airbnb, for extra cleaning costs and the broken handle. You can't assume they don't have your back. They were supportive to me and my last claim.

Next time you have any issues, make the claim and see if you're successful or not. You can't vent if you didn't do it in the first place.

It's hard work being a host, especially when some people who stay clearly have no respect for the property they're staying in.

I have phoned Airbnb before too and they have been helpful with their advice.

Best wishes.

Nina1093
Level 3
West Vancouver, Canada

Two months later I’m still waiting for even an acknowledgment from Airbnb that my involvement of them in the resolution request actually happened. Two months later not a word back, it just says “under review with Airbnb”. Regarding the review itself, there are comments that relate to circumstances outside my control and Airbnb still won’t take it down even after admitting that yea it’s out of my control. Nevermind the lies in the content. It’s been such a hard year - I feel completely let down by them and will take my listings to direct market as soon as conditions improve. 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Nina1093  Are you talking about Sadie and the response you left to her review?  I thought it was good and to the point.  "Sadie, you sent me a message when checking out that you absolutely loved the place. Changing mind after the host sends you evidence of a completely trashed unit with almost $1000 of damage is considered a revenge review. FYI - no host would expect guests to leave damage, and if something happens guests ARE expected to communicate and cover the loss - sorry if that's news to you."

I know a lot of hosts feel they have to lower their rates because of the pandemic, but sometimes raising rates gets more and better bookings.  And takes some of the sting out of at least the minor damage.  I require that bookings longer than 10 days have weekly housekeeping, just so I can keep the place in shape.

Your reviews are great so you're doing everything right.