Review Process as a Guest - as of January 2022

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Review Process as a Guest - as of January 2022

The guest review process has changed over the last year.

Here is a quick upload of the review process after a recent stay. It is always good to see the process through the eyes of a guest.

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.31.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.34.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.34.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.43.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.43.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.44.00 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.19.41 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.19.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.21.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.21.16 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.21.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.22.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.22.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.22.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-31 at 10.23.09 AM.png

26 Replies 26
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Emilia42 

You have a point! To some guests the review process can be useful as you have said.

You are also right.... The term survey does not apply to a review process.

My analogy has to do with the fatigue that a long survey or a long review process causes to some people, including me.

Again, thanks for sharing it.  And sorry, it was my honest opinion about the review process 🙂

@J-Renato0  I agree with you- this review and survey culture is over-the-top. People are asked to review everything from the hair cut they got to the place that changed their tires to the plumber. A lot of consumers are sick of it.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Emilia42  Thanks!  It's always helpful when people post the screens that guests see.  

I wonder what the purpose of asking about the neighborhood is?

@Mark 116 I do remember someone some time ago saying that they considered 'the neighbourhood ' too dangerous to walk at night. I think that probably covers a lot of neighbourhoods . Our city and many have walkability  listings but its all subjective really  A stupid question to ask everyone and only relevant in some minor cases. People often ask " can I walk there ? this generally translates as , I want to go to the pub and have a few drinks with my dinner and not drive home  . Many questions are answered through 'beer goggles " as in, Did I fall into a bush on my way back? H

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Emilia42 ,  for the update.

Perhaps they are using Behaviour Insights Team /Nudge Unit templates  aka David Halpern?

They have popped up everywhere with contracts across the world under various guises.

They are a pain with prompts on emails to.

Machine Learning is also another name for it 🙂

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Emilia42,

Thanks for sharing.  You debuted the changed review process last year, also.  The detailed questions of the categories are still very subjective.  For example, what is the measuring stick for how accommodating a host was?   Location is still a sore point, and the question should be was it located as described.  Not just the actual street address (which my listings in St. Lucia, and in many other countries, do not have), but were the physical location/surroundings as described (e.g., on a hill, 15 minute walk from XX, 2 kms from XX, etc.).

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Emilia 42 this is an interesting one because where my house is faces a busy road but a little walk takes you down the back to a river and walking paths or cycling. I used to put this under a question like, Is there a body of water near by? but realised after a while that this was putting guests with children off because they somehow thought the river was in my back yard  H but many people will never walk or cycle or see that area so they cannot comment onit really H.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I think it's much clearer for guests @Emilia42.  It corresponds better to the results we see.  It appears less confusing than it used to be.  All the stuff after the main points is skippable, which lightens the burden on guests after the fact.  I think it's good!

I agree, @Ann72. I didn't mind it!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Emilia42 I hate the "was your host accommodating?"

ac·com·mo·dat·ing
/əˈkäməˌdādiNG/     adjective

1. willing to fit in with someone's wishes or needs.
    "we always found the our local branch most accommodating"

"Not at all accommodating" : I asked for: early arrival, late departure, extra guests, fresh cookies, turndown service, a personal driver.... and they didn't do any of it!!

How about: was your host truthful or friendly or an actual human or pretty or .... Come on ABB! Did the host bend to the Guest's wishes? Terrible, terrible question and really highlights how ABB feels about Host properties. Stop thinking about "House Rules", give the customer what they want. Or else.

@Kelly149 I actually did stop to think about this question because it is an odd one. Especially since so many Airbnb stays these days are merely transactions. I didn't ask anything of my hosts. We just exchanged simple pleasantries (all automated in their case) and I stayed and went. So "moderately accommodating" since they took my money and gave me a place to sleep ... sure I guess so. 

@Emilia42 I think the question should only be 'was the host easily available if something had gone wrong ?" did you have access to a phone number for emergencies. Did the host make it clear that they were available?Did you ring them with your issue before calling Airbnb?  H