Review Process

Jillie1
Level 10
Harrogate, United Kingdom

Review Process

This year I've been fortunate enough to have been given 5 star reviews in every category, apart from the last guest who only gave me 4 stars for value but the rest 5 stars.  I'm not arguing with the rating they've given but I see it's brought my onsite rating down a whole point.  Is that right please?

8 Replies 8
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

There is an “overall” rating that is separate from all the other ratings. This is the rating that is factored into the score visible to guests on your listing. So, somewhere along the line, you received one or more reviews that had an overall rating of less than 5 stars.

By the way, your rating didn’t go down a whole point, it went down x/100ths a point, with the maximum amount of points, or stars, being 5. I wouldn’t fret too much about this.

Jillie1
Level 10

Thanks very much for your reply Pat271.   My rating has gone from 4.8 to 4.7 as guests see it when booking following the lastest review.  I've been keeping an eye on all my ratings for the past year which have fortunately all been 5 star so it does seem a bit harsh.  Nevermind, we have to take it on board don't we?!  Not that I'm going to reduce the price as I feel it's very good value for what I offer!  😉

Jillie1
Level 10

Thanks very much for your reply Pat271.   My rating has gone from 4.8 to 4.7 as guests see it when booking following the lastest review.  I've been keeping an eye on all my ratings for the past year which have fortunately all been 5 star so it does seem a bit harsh.  Nevermind, we have to take it on board don't we?!  Not that I'm going to reduce the price as I feel it's very good value for what I offer!  😉

Jillie

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jillie1  No, the rating shown on your listing is currently 4.97.

Jillie1
Level 10

Sorry, Sarah977 in Mexico, that's what I meant......just missed off the 9.  so it's gone from 4.98 to 4.97.

@Jillie1  It's a great rating for a host with as many reviews as you have and hard to acheive. Most hosts have some clueless guests along the way who seemingly have no complaints about the stay, but leave 4* overall ratings, thinking that's a fine rating.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Just be happy @Jillie1 that it wasn't a 1, some of us have been given 1 because obviously 1 is best. Your rating is outstanding. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jillie1 

Jillie, you are only a perfect 5 as long as your guests continue to give those perfect 5's. Once a guest gives you a 4, or heaven forbid a 3.....you will never get back to a 5 again, you will always be 4 point.....something!

It never used to be this way, for the first few years I was hosting with Airbnb if you had 50 straight 5 star reviews in any category, that category would automatically reset to 5, and it was possible for a host to get back to that coveted 5.00 overall ranking!

Those days are gone, it's not about what hosts do right any more, it's all about what the guest perceives the host might have done wrong. That 3 star location rating came about because it wasn't where the guest wanted it but, they booked it....... and the host can't move it!

I think I have done everything right over the years, all my guests tell me how great it was but, I am stubbornly sitting on a 4.92, why is that? Some guests say that there is no such thing as 5 star.....it's that perfection that does not exist, they never give a 5. Airbnb tell me to do better when nobody has any hint of what I might have done wrong.....it's just a cactus rating system Jillie, accept it and get on with hosting!

Cheers........Rob