Reviews loophole - mental health concern for refunded guest

Kim2654
Level 3
Medindie, Australia

Reviews loophole - mental health concern for refunded guest

I booked a 30 night stay in a room in an apartment with the owner and their partner. Room was listed as 'private'.

On getting to the 2 bedroom apartment, 1 room was booked to a young foreign couple with little spoken english and the other room to me. The 'owner' (never saw a partner) essentially squatted in his lounge for 9 of my 10 nights. He would go in my room when I wasn't there (I'd notice things had moved and/or felt he'd been in there) and every other day he'd either be asking for access to my private room. On day 10 (I'd normally not be there) he attempted entering my room, unannounced. I was naked. 

I contacted AirBnB requesting a refund. They reviewed the case and gave me a full refund. I thought that was it...

The host decided to write a review on me. Full of half truths, some lies and stated AirBnB backed him and gave me no refund. I have found this very distressing. 

I contacted AirBnB, fuming, that a bad host could review me but apparently he can. 

AirBnB's policy on this needs to include,  if AirBnB deem a host has wronged a guest, the host cannot write a review on the guest. How or who can I escalate this to? I am mortified that AirBnB can allow his comments about me to remain on my profile page when I wanted nothing to do with the man. Also, I had to review him to enable to see what he'd written about me to ascertain whether I should report his message. With so much talk around mental health and cyber bullying these days, I'm flabbergasted this can actually happen. I wanted to move forward, now I've had to read his bull**bleep** review of me and it also needs to remain there - forever - because that's his version of events. This is not right. Can anyone help?

50 Replies 50

Thanks @Cathie19 😊 

Fantastic advice too, especially lock. I'm usually with my husband and we book a home so I've definitely learnt alot about 'private rooms'.

I just hope AirBnB review their policy with reviews. Neither party should be able to review if one party has been issued a full refund. It's just inflammatory and makes an awful experience even more awful. 

@Kim2654  Hosts have been begging for changes to the review policies for years and it falls on deaf ears. One of the issues for hosts is that guests who get charged for damages are allowed to leave reviews and it's almost always a bad, lying, retaliatory review. Because responsible guests would just fess up, apologize and offer to pay for the damage- if it has to be requested and the guest refuses to pay, they know they'll get a bad review, so they counter it with one of their own. So not only have they cost the host money with the damages, they leave a bad review and ratings which tank the host's ratings, a double whammy.

There's a lot wrong with the review process, but there seems to be no will to address the issues.

@Sarah977 WOW!!

I think this is where AirBnB leave a flag, or note, noting some form of warning (against party who AirBnB found breaching policy/ house rules). Can't be that hard!

I'm glad I'm not a host - I'd take everything personally... 🤔😊

@Kim2654 Basically all hosts can do in those situations is what you did-leave a response to the review which makes it clear that the review is false and why.

And yes, hosts do take it personally when they've put a lot of effort into their place, tried to be accommodating to guests, only to have some keyboard warrior who trashed their home tank their rating with lies and no conscience. Not only is it a personal affront, it can actually damage their livelihood if potential guests believe the bad review or get put off because the place now has a 3* cleanliness rating. 

Airbnb won't even remove the review if the guest, who has no review history at all, claims the place was filthy and the host has hundreds of 5* reviews saying it was lovely and immaculately clean.

It's a really flawed system, that's for sure.

@Kim2654 

Even when travelling with my husband, we use the lock on our airbnb room, hostel or hotel room at night. 🙌🏼

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Kim2654 what does the English proficiency of the other couple in the space have to do with anything? That bit does not contribute to the story, only makes you look like a xenophobe.

Having said that, totally inappropriate host behavior. He is either a creep or not prepared to be hosting. In either case, he should not be one. I bet he struck gold in having both rooms in his house booked and was too greedy to let either reservation go.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Agree about the xenophobia @Inna22 .

The host DOES have a lot of excellent reviews (74), saying he is a great personality..... Which makes me think it was just an unfortunate mistake, not anything sinister.... eg "Beyond grateful & honoured to have stayed with James and Ross for 6 nights....like a long lost friend..... I felt like a part of their family..." - I'm not feeling a threat here!

I think the host's main error was his too brief listing description, where he wasn't clear enough that he lived there (just about detectable in the house rules), & that others might be staying...

@Mary996 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The bottom line is that this host shouldn't be going in and out of the rooms guests have paid to have private use of. Nor should he be sleeping in the lounge limiting guests use of the lounge space. When this is not stated in his listing.

a host should only enter a guests room when arranged in advance or in an emergency.

If the host chooses to sleep in the living space (and this is clear in the listing) he should keep everything he needs for the duration there

The hosts main error is not just that he lies by omission in his listing but that he thinks it's acceptable to enter a guests private space at any time and put her in an incredibly vulnerable position to being naked     In a room where she had the right to expect complete privacy.

appalling behaviour on the hosts part 

@Helen3  The host has been very positively reviewed for other Private Room listings, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern of boundary issues. But considering that the listing @Kim2654  chose was unreviewed at the time of booking, it was probably the first time this host had rented out his own bedroom. That's one problem with a new listing - even when the host has a lot of experience in other formats, there are probably details they hadn't thought through how everything was going to work in the new one, or potential problem spots they hadn't learned to disclose.  I don't assume that Kim's host had bad intentions, but clearly he was not well prepared to square his new home arrangement with guests' normal privacy expectations. 

As a guest, my attempts to book a new/unreviewed listing have all been unsuccessful - the listings went live before the hosts had properly configured the calendars or pricing, or some of the key details were miscategorized (e.g. a shared room being mislabeled as private). It's also happened to some friends, that they only discovered upon arrival that a home was still under construction and not fully guest-ready. These days, I tend to assume that a listing is not ready for prime time until it has a solid base of reviews. If I were ever going to take a chance a brand-new one again - particularly for a long stay - I think I'd have to ask a lot of questions in the request process.

Good point @Inna22 - I'm definitely not a xenophobe and was too emotional when putting my post. So much so, I didn't really get to my point...

I just hope AirBnB review their policy with reviews. Neither party should be able to review if one party has been issued a full refund. It's just inflammatory and makes an awful experience even more awful. 

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

Thanks for contributing to this thread! I'd just like to please ask you to remain respectful towards each other in line with Community Guidelines.

@Kim2654 I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I inquired the CS team about your case and they have asked you to get in touch with them again so it can be revised.

I really hope this helps. 

Thanks,

Liv

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

That sounds like a realistic Policy proposal @Kim2654.

I would like to draw attention to your proposal to some of the new brooms we have in place within the Management structure of our Agents, Airbnb, who I believe are seriously intent upon change and improvement in the Service of Hosts and as a result, also, in the service of Guests:

@Liv @Catherine-Powell  @Bez8    

This is not a complete list so I will add  (into a new comment) names of Members of the newly founded Intermediary Group called the Host Advisory Group (HAB)  who have recently introduced themselves to us. I will have to do a search ..tho other colleagues here might be swifter (!!)  at finding and including their names, for your information Kim, and ours collectively. Most likely the Community Centre (CC) group here will discuss (as we're doing) and prioritise our Proposals to go up to the Intermediary Tier and yours might be among them. All here are committed to improving every element of this wonderful Organisation (and it was lovely to hear praise for  part of your experience) which is Airbnb. I will only participate in an Organisation that holds to the highest standards, I assure you, and am very sorry about what happened. Furthermore I  carefully read through other Reviews about that Host and note he previously bullied another woman - who is clearly trying to bring up a child alone - after she attempted to raise some adverse points with him too.  Because of these alerts (two now... it may be that three strikes are needed before a Host can be deleted),  further action might follow should you request it.

If it does take three events (but why should it.... one arguably being enough), then the matter of consideration being given by you to forbearance of your revelatory Review remaining in place is something that, for the greater good, you may possibly be willing to consider?

In any event Kim would you honour us by continuing to participate here because we are at something of a turning point. I've noted some suggestions that may go forward for representation to Higher Management and if chosen by this group with whom you are currently speaking, perhaps this could be one of them? Another proposal was quite simply that the number of Guests being recorded when applying to stay with one of us be reset to 0. Someone also proposed that we focus on a limited number of issues in order to suceed with trial running the processes that we will be putting into place but that are still under construction (!!). The reset (to zero from one)  idea might be an easy first endeavour since its probably fairly uncontentious.

I'd like to give credit to the people who had those two ideas above but will have to search back .... to find their names and tags!!!!

It maybe that you have another avenue in mind to advance your suggestions @Kim2654 but if you could bear to work with us it seems to me if you do hang around that you might be  witness to the formation of something beautiful !!!!!!

What is happening currently is that a number of Hosts have been chosen (we don't know by what method but in time it may become a system of upward Nominations) who, as I see it, will be collating proposals from each of the International Caucases to take forward for implementation by Management whose resolves will direct Staff and re-organise administrative matters to continually update and revise our processes to ensure we are fully functioning and 'nimble' in the Marketplace and that our issues and concerns as Hosts are prioritised and addressed.

Going back to your concern Kim, for balance, a counter argument has emerged in defence of the Host, brought by @Helen350   and ultimately someone somewhere would make a decision on this possibly following written representations by both parties (Host and Guest) if there was a request to actually de-activate the Host. In this instance you propose something different which I'll leave you to define (so I'm not putting words into your mouth). But it may require a Policy that can be applied universally. Anyway without going further into this its where we are at in terms of trying to set up a structure to address concerns such as yours. xx

The only other thing to say is that whilst we're volunteering here it is in the service of our small operations so there is self interest in getting things right but also a lot of aspiration towards the highest ideals and also the prospect of making friends and just participating in something worthwhile along the way.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Am just wondering if this group wants to request that :

@Bez8  and   @Til-and-Jutta

progress a potential policy that might emerge from our discussions and go up to #HAB for referral along further lines? We could try it? Might help another Guest too in the future????

In addition to whatever conclusion @Kim2654  may come to - which we could perhaps advance on her behalf according to her wishes - there was a brilliant Policy proposal from @Branka-and-Silvia0 which was put forward in a Post by @Ann72 supported by @Lee386 @Lawrence0 @Mary996 @Ann72 that the setting for Guest numbers applying for accommodation be changed from -1-   to  -0-.

It seems a very straightforward Policy with a strong prospect of success. Shall we ask them to take it forward?????????????????

Hi @Mary996 

I'm more than happy for the group to take my suggestion forward. I do not understand AirBnB policies enough to become involved in the process but if my suggestion can help prevent future hosts or guests not be reviewed by a disgruntled host or guest when AirBnB have already determined they have breached policy, then I'm all for it. 

Side note - I think what also contributed to my host writing such half truths and lies was AirBnB told him I would not receive a refund. He got cocky. In his review he stated I preferred texting him outside the AirBnB platform. He initiated/preferred this. I have many private messages he text to my mobile backing my story. One message even says "None  of my previous similar and or accidental experiences resulted in any such punitive action by a guest".