Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Reviews

Reviews

Over the past 6 years of hosting I mentioned a pattern and would love to hear your opinion on it.

My long airbnb hosting journey showed me, that the majority of the guests who use airbnb for the first time, are very angry people and demanding.

Most of them have no feeling for the value of things. I asked myself why? And I finally came to a personal conclusion that this problem is a lack of experience with using airbnb. Out of my observation I see that the first time users lack on empathy and have an imagination about how they want you and your home to be.  There is a lack of tolerance and acceptance. I feel like the guest needs time to understand the concept of airbnb and accept indifferences and learn to value the nice opportunities. Till now I never declined on guests, who don't have reviews, who never used airbnb before, but today I think, I am scared of people who come off, as they would know it better, how you need to be. 

I would love to open a petition  to restrict new guests, who have no experience in airbnb to be able to give hosts reviews for the first 5 bookings at different places. Because I am tired to give people chances and be demolished by they lack of understanding and their aggressive entitlement. I feel like a guests who wants to profit from this community and the value must gain/ learn certain understanding and feeling before they get weaponized with reviews. I do think I am an experienced host, but I am more and more scared to host guests who never attended any airbnb places before, because I do not want to risk my value to someone who lacks respect towards all my work and my personal experience. Hosting is more as just giving your guest a place to stay. I am very accurate in what I sell people here, I do get upset about people who cannot read listing description and house rules and dictate and judge me how my personal space and my persona needs to be. I am definitely tired of people who do not have understanding for values and effort. I also think it's wrong to give reviews on the first place you ever used in your life through airbnb, if you as a guest have no comparison at all.  

101 Replies 101

@Anonymous 

I don't have anything about budget travellers. 

I am not classist.

I rent full homes, not rooms. My comments come from my entire home perspective, yes. Maybe I have misread the original post and the following comments?

Regardless, good communication and vetting of potential guests are essential in both shared rooms or entire homes.

As for pricing, i do understand that we obviously have different needs and perspectives, they are two entirely different markets. 

How about giving me a 5 star review for opening my home to everyone, without exceptions, going along with extra wishes and excuse herself for accidentally pepper spraying my apartment and me wile I am sleeping.  

maybe you are right, I should ask new guests is they have pepper spray and some other stuff on them. where you are you probably don't need to worry about not waking up or pepper sprayed wile you are asleep. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Elisabeth40  I very much disagree with your idea about limiting reviews from new AirBnB users. Reviews benefit both hosts and guests, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have often accepted bookings from first-time AirBnB users, and have never had a problem. It's all about managing expectations. Disgruntled people are just that way, and you will encounter them all over the place. They will find fault no matter what, and we have to accept that we can't change that. 

I did look at your listing and you have described your space very well. I can't help but wonder, even though you are clear about the common space being a smoking area, if the cigarette smoke isn't affecting other aspects of your listing. As a former smoker, I know how hard it is to keep the smell of cigarette smoke out of every part of your life. 

Do the sheets for the private bedroom possibly smell like smoke? Does the bathroom or the towels? 

While you say that smoking is allowed in the common areas, you don't specifically say that YOU smoke, which implies that someone WILL be smoking in the apartment while you have guests. I'm just trying to imagine what might be making your guests less than 100% happy. 

If the bedroom is entirely a smoke-free environment, then you might want to mention that to guests, provided that you are making every effort to keep the smell of smoke out of everything, including sheets, curtains, furniture, etc. If you can't guarantee that, then you might want to emphasize even more prominently in your listing that the smell of cigarette smoke may be throughout the apartment, and to book with that information in mind. 

The other thing you might want to do is to raise the price on the bedroom and to nix the couch. For me, I'm going to be slightly less happy if I book the bedroom and there's also a guest staying on the couch. Even though it's clear in the listing, it means another person will always be present in the common area, and that's kind of awkward, whether you're using the bathroom in the middle of the night, or just preparing a meal. In general, I think home-shares are touchy right now in the middle of a pandemic. I know that I would not book shared space, but everyone is different. 

Finally, I am NOT preaching about your smoking habit. I know exactly how addictive nicotine is, and how strong the grip is. It's just that smoking has become so socially unacceptable these days, and therefore is judged more harshly. It's certainly a personal decision, and mostly becomes an issue in shared environments. 

Good luck, Kia

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Fantastic advice, @Kia272 & @Elisabeth40  🙂

my guests pepper sprayed my place wile I was sleeping  

is it ok if the guest pepper spays you wile you are asleep. Is that possible to be nice after that?

well, you cannot complain about what you agreed on booking and therefore are the house rules and the listing description. The guest who complained about it is upset that I didn't allowed her boyfriend to stay for free at my place. her review is bogus, because she agrees on what she is purchasing, her review is a revenge about me not allowing her boyfriend to stay here for free. young people who don't get their way.

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Helen350
Level 10

I think @Kia272 was trying to HELP @Elisabeth40 . I didn't think she was rude at all, just trying to help you see what guests want. And giving some very good advice. Because you came here wanting to solve the problem of bad reviews by not allowing newbies to write them..... But  we are all trying to think of things you can do to make (reasonable) guests happier! - You'll never please the nasty ones, no matter what you do.

Really trying to help here.... 

Thanks @Helen350  To me it has become pretty obvious what the problem is here, and um......wow-it just might be with the host, who started this thread seeking help and then kind of hijacked her own thread with the pepper spray thing. Personally, I don't see anybody pepper spraying someone else by "accident", but who knows. Anyway, she doesn't seem to actually want help, so go figure. But at least she said I sounded smart. There is that.....😂🤣😂

Oops- rude and smart. Oh well....

Cheers

Her advice is not relevant for the point I am trying to make, there are all kind of guests out there and all kind of hosts. I am never lying to my guests about smoking, it's stupid of a guest to choose a smoking place, which get's sold as such and there are so many guests who smoke themselves too. I mostly host them all. I do not intend and never intended to sell my room to none smokers. it was her choice and her decision to stay here. basically the guest bought a pear, agreed on a pear and gave me a 2 star review stating because the pear was not an apple. 

*personal insult removed - please adhere to the community guidelines when posting in the CC*

yes therefore kia seems also not to be aware of it that we are all different. there is no wrong or right. if you don't smoke so book a none smoking place. I am happy for her so, that her place smells good and her bedding too. thank you kia, you must be better than me.

Helen350
Level 10

@Elisabeth40 The solution to the problem of your 1*,2*,3* reviews is NOT to stop first-timers reviewing.... The answer lies in not allowing bad, disrespectful guests in to start with! - Switch off Instant Book, and have a conversation with the potential guests via the Airbnb messaging, to see if they are polite & respectful in their written communication. That's a good start! - Ask where they live, what they intend to do in NYC, and why they want to stay at yours..... You can often screen out bad guests BEFORE they book, and decline the booking if they are not polite.

You are currently giving guests permission to use you, bully you, and treat you with extreme disrespect, and yet you won't put a stop to this?

As for not writing bad reviews; is it fair to other hosts not to warn them? By giving a neutral review or no review at all? You don't have to go all passive-aggressive, you can just review "Guest was extremely disrespectful & broke house rules. I would not host again & would not recommend." You OWE this to fellow hosts! - Would you have hosted the pepper sprayers if you had been warned by a previous host?