Saw post on community board

Answered!

Saw post on community board

Hello,

We plan to rent out our house in Strasburg, VA. The house is on a working farm. Is there a group that meets to share ideas/advice, and could I possibly join you all at a meeting? 

Thank you,

Beth

1 Best Answer
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Beth6345 👋

A huge welcome to the Community Center 🎉 

You can use to Community Center to do all of those things, share ideas and ask for advice. We've got a great selection of boards available to Hosts: 

Ask about your listing - You can ask other Hosts to critique your listing, you could be pleasantly surprised at what other people see!

Advice on your space - This is great for general questions about your space specifically, for example, the amenities that you have at the property to what types of sheets that you use.

Help with your business - You can ask those nitty gritty questions about taxes, payouts and more in this section. 

Support with your bookings - Ask for support from Hosts who have mastered the art of hospitality - from reviews, communicating with guests to cancellations. 

Of course, if you're looking for more localised advice, you can also search for your Local Host Club. 

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your hosting journey! 🍀

We can't wait to see what you achieve! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hey there @Beth6345 👋

A huge welcome to the Community Center 🎉 

You can use to Community Center to do all of those things, share ideas and ask for advice. We've got a great selection of boards available to Hosts: 

Ask about your listing - You can ask other Hosts to critique your listing, you could be pleasantly surprised at what other people see!

Advice on your space - This is great for general questions about your space specifically, for example, the amenities that you have at the property to what types of sheets that you use.

Help with your business - You can ask those nitty gritty questions about taxes, payouts and more in this section. 

Support with your bookings - Ask for support from Hosts who have mastered the art of hospitality - from reviews, communicating with guests to cancellations. 

Of course, if you're looking for more localised advice, you can also search for your Local Host Club. 

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your hosting journey! 🍀

We can't wait to see what you achieve! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

@Beth6345 , 

I am in a similar situation, Airbnb on a Farm in Warrenton VA.  No clubs for us rural folks that I can see. the closest ones to me are Arlington, or Richmond.

I am sure those folks don't have to deal with guest worried about hunting season, ticks, firepits, and folks who are afraid of a rural night.  Had one guest early on, she got so scared because it was too quiet and dark that she left at midnight to go on to Richmond, "to civilization" was her boyfriend's note.  He loved it here, but he was born country.  So, I make sure now, guest know, this is a place for quiet! relaxation.

I don't get on here much, but I have been hosting on the farm since 2018 and we just opened 2.5 miles of additional wooded trails for guest to walk their dogs.

So, if you want to chat or decided to start a club for farm rentals in the Valley (Near 211 or 66 connections) or between mountains in Luray area, let me know. I would love to get in touch. 

Oh, what's the name of your listing? You can check me out at Winters Retreat Farm Cottage, Warrenton Va. Try to keep the listing up to date, but that's hard with life, volunteer work and running the farm too.

Good luck!

Lory P 

Hello Lory, ( @Lorene17 )

I came across you post, and thought i would possibly be able to pick your brain about hosting on a farm? we seem to have similar situations and interests plus you have experience since 2018. I am just starting in May fingers crossed . Life seems to happen to much here and i get lost doing everything else! lol

Let me know if you have some time to talk

Shayne TillieRose Acres Farm

Shayne, HI!  Like you, I stay pretty busy, between farm, guest house and family. All I can tell you about hosting on a farm is to make sure folks know your rules.  Also, make sure they know what to expect and you expect of them. Being pet friendly is a 2-edged sword. I like to have the dogs, but it does mean a lot more dog hair to clean up after each visit. I don't care how well they groom them there will still be hair left behind.  Also, clear instructions about unattended pets. My rules there have evolved over time and bad experiences.  Some people just don't know how to care for a pet, but there is no law to stop them until it's too late.

Also, since you're starting out. be very clear you're not a "Hallmark farm."  No dirt, mud, barbed wire, bugs, mice and the sun always is shining.  I have actually had folks complain in the review because there were too many bugs outside in a hot and humid midsummer.  Another one, left early because the night was too dark and quiet, she made her husband take her back to Richmond at 12:30 at night. She was scared of the dark.

We have a group of folks that have lived in sterile controlled environments all their lives and have no idea what to expect with country living.   I greet folks as often as I can, and that usually sets the pace that they have a good visit.

So, the best I can tell you is to plan NOT To Be Surprised about comments, rather roll with them and enhance your house rules to fit your site and needs.

It's an ongoing adventure for sure.

Good luck

Lory P