Scam number sends my message from airbnb platform to guests

Scam number sends my message from airbnb platform to guests

<span;>we became the victim of scam messages. Anyone else? And what should we do now? 

<span;>In our case my guest received from a Swedish scam number that pretended to be airbnb (I googled the number and found several reports about this number on a website flagging scam numbers), my message that I send through the airbnb platform to the guest.  This shows that there must be some kind of security issue with the airbnb message application. Because how could this scam number hack the messages and send my private message (that I send through the airbnb platform to the guest) to her phone number from their scam number?

<span;>The message starts with airbnb: and then giving my name and the dates of booking and then it quotes my message that I have send on the airbnb platform!!

<span;>Obviously the guest did not realise the message from airbnb send through that number was a scam. I mean how could she know? Hence she replied to that message thinking it came from the platform.  Of course I never received her messages. And hence I got a 2 star review from the guest as she was very angry that I have ignored her messages etc, but I had no idea! Airbnb customer service told me they cannot do anything. As her review doesn't go against their community standards. Plus airbnb says that we communicated outside their platform and it is not their number and they do not want to investigate it. I understand the review part. And hence my issue is not about the review. It is about the scam messages! 

<span;> I first of all did not communicate with the guest outside of the platform. And secondly also the guest thought she still communicated on the platform as she just replied to my message that was send through the number and looked like a legit message from airbnb.

<span;>In the end the guest is left angry, because I never got her messages and could hence not solve her issues. And she is angry because airbnb customer service even told me on the phone (conversation is recorded by airbnb) that the guest probably just faked that screenshot (showing the messages and that number). To which I was flabbergasted, like why should she fake such a screenshot?

<span;>Then me as host, I am also stunned that airbnb doesn't want to take any actions against these scammers. And also doesn't want to mediate between me and the guest. As the guest has now a wrong picture and based her review on the scam messages and we as hosts have nothing in our hands to solve the issue, as airbnb wants to stay out.  I understand they cannot do anything about the review. Even though unfair, fine. But they should do something about the scammer and how it was possible for him to read my private message send through the airbnb platform! 

<span;>At least I wish that airbnb customer service would not  ignore the issue at stake and its consequences by saying this was outside their platform and they don't investigate. I wish airbnb would take this problem of scam messages and its consequences seriously!  As this is not just an issue about a bad review, but it is about a security hack and scam messages, which leave both guests and hosts frustrated!

1 Reply 1

Thank you for your reply Isaac, However I don't think my account was hacked, but the one of the guest. Because how is it otherwise possible that a stranger has access to the message I wrote and send it to phone number from a scam number? I have googled the number, it turns out to be a Swedish scam number and several people there said they got messages through that number claiming they were from Airbnb.  Now that even my private message from the platform was quoted in that message, makes it even more suspicious.   

Imagine all the evil these scammers can do when they can access private messages send to their guests on the platform and access guest phone number and then send them text messages pretending to be airbnb?

Airbnb should at least report these phone scam numbers and help the community stay and feel safe!