Scam - what can I do to stop getting these requests?

Oddný0
Level 1
RVK, Iceland

Scam - what can I do to stop getting these requests?

Hello everybody,

I keep getting notifications on bookings and it is always the same as in the picture below. Is there anything I can do to stop these requests from coming in? This is the fourth one in four days. 

17A48C1F-CFD4-4168-AF56-3AC8509F9AC4.jpeg

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Oddný0 

Report the message to Airbnb, using the "flag" link

@Oddný0   Presumably these are "inquiries," rather than "requests." That distinction is important, because you don't have to take any action on an inquiry except to write a reply (a simple "no" will do) within 24 hours. Requests, on the other hand, require a commitment of payment from the guest, and you must either accept or decline them.

As Emiel said, you can flag the spammers, but I don't think there's a way to prevent fake inquiries from coming through via the "Contact Host" link, as long as you have an active listing. 

Airbnb could do more to prevent this by requiring members to complete their verifications before they can send inquiries, or by giving hosts the choice to automatically block contact from unverified profiles. The ease of setting up a burner account creates an obvious backdoor for bad actors to harass and scam other members on the platform.