**Scammer Alert**

Levavbrius0
Level 2
Richmond Hill, GA

**Scammer Alert**

We are being scammed by **. The same date we applied was the same date we cancelled and they refuse to offer any of our money back! We never been to their property. They proceeded to ask us for more money on cash app.. We lost $654 to these horrible people and they want even negotiate with the customer service rep. This is ridiculous. Has anyone else ever been in a situation like this? If so how do we get our money back or at least some of it. Im disheartened by this entire situation. Her name is Carla lincoln.

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Levavbrius0 what was the properties cancellation policy that you signed up for and how soon before the stay dates did you book?

The cancellation policy is for long-term. Our booking was accepted on the 21st and cancelled on the 21st. They offer a full refund plus or minus 30 days. We contacted the host and she prompted us to send $200 via cash app and that she would refund the $654 back through Airbnb but if we reused to send her $200 via cash app then she would not send us our money back.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Levavbrius0 So what is the complaint? You have been charged as per the cancellation policy. Who knows if the host was genuine with their offer of $200 but we'll never know.

I'm sorry please see comment below I tried to @Mike-And-Jane0 

Levavbrius0
Level 2
Richmond Hill, GA

I'm not understanding! Why would I give the host $200 more when they clearly not going to give me a refund? I already gave her $654 for a home that I never went to or stayed in...could you help me understand the policy so if I can cancelled the same day I am not due a refund?

Also no time was wasted! She approved on the same day I cancelled. There was no lost time!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Levavbrius0 The cancellation policy for long term stays is as follows:

if a reservation is for 28 nights or more, the long-term cancellation policy applies. If a guest changes or cancels a long-term reservation:

• Their first payment might be non-refundable, depending on the listing and when the reservation is made
  • other stuff thats not relevant 
  • For more details, check your confirmation email.

What does your confirmation email say?

I am afraid if you sign a contract you must expect it to be enforced.

@Mike-And-Jane0  It's says the bill is settled in full! There are no additional payment scheduled. What does that mean? What contract did I sign? And I want to have a clear understanding I will not get a refund at all?

Signed was the wrong word on my part. You entered into a contract by agreeing to book the property. as @Heidi588 says - the policy is clear and fixed and does not allow for people changing their minds

@Levavbrius0 It’s true that once you booked you did so under the terms and cancellation policy the host had in place. I’ve had a few guests hastily book and upon further reading the description or me pointing it out they changed their mind and wanted to cancel. If it is a booking and cancellation on the same day I always refund the guest 100%, but they do lose the Airbnb fee they paid. I see where you are coming from and I think most hosts would do the right thing and refund, although it’s not required. I would try to contact the host again as others have suggested and see if you can get a refund or at least a partial one. The host would have received an email from Airbnb confirming the cancellation and have the option to refund you in full with a direct link in the email. 

@Katrina79  Thank you I have reached out and she declined both request. It's just a lost unfortunately

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

I spend a lot of my life in long-term stays. The policy is very clear: once I make the reservation, if I cancel it then I owe thirty days. Period. It doesn't matter if I cancel the day before the reservation nor an hour after I make it. So I need to be very certain before I reserve, as I will be out a lot of money if I change my mind. 

As for the $200 they requested, it's possible they were trying to scam you. If they communicated this via the Airbnb message platform, then I would advise you to report it to Airbnb. If they communicated in any other way, such as by text or email, you can't prove it was them. You did the right thing for yourself by not giving them the $200 or you would have been out even more money than you are now. 

I'm sorry the rules are not on your side and that you're out so much money, and I'm happy that you wisely protected yourself from a potential scam. 

@Heidi588 Thank you. It's a first time for everything it's just a shame it's such a horrible first time. I personally would refund people there money if they never stayed there or at least a fraction but as everyone mentioned rules are rules. Compassion and empathy are a lost cause until that person needs it

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You would benefit starting from an understanding that you made a non refundable booking just as you would if you booked a flight, holiday or concert  @Levavbrius0 

If you weren’t sure you wanted to travel you would have been better to wait until you were certain rather than making a booking with a non refundable  cancellation policy. 

If you have respectively asked for a refund and the host upheld the policy,  you could go back and ask the host if they re-book any of the days whether they would be willing to consider a proportional refund @Levavbrius0