Scammers

Answered!
Ivett84
Level 2
Malibu, CA

Scammers

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the hosting and I already had two fake/scammers.

How is it that they are verified and they still try to con people?!

Host watch out if you see:

1. Long term rental inquiry

2. First name and no last name

3. Message says "Hi/ Hello"

4. Asking "are you the landlord?"

5. Asking to communicate outside of airbnb platform  via cell, what's app, Google chat, etc.

6. Asking for video tour

7. Rude/defensive behavior

It is sad that we have to deal with con people!

1 Best Answer
Jamie957
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I am dealing with this exact situation now! They asked to see the property first! Then they asked that they call me to make sure I'm legit so I oblige and I even sent them a video of our property and they booked for almost a month and have done nothing but complain about everything and nothing at the same time. They've lied an brought in pets when pets are not allowed and then said our newly renovated property smells like animals then brought in extra people not reserved AND are smoking pot (which idc what People do but not in MY PLACE) I dont even allow cigarettes inside)  

They even have a kid inside there & they've even brought in bigger TVs , furniture  chairs, blankets and all kinds of stuff !?!

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ivett84 

You can report the messages (especially what is related to item 5) to Airbnb (use the "flag" option).

Ivett84
Level 2
Malibu, CA

Thank you @Emiel1 . I have reported and also airbnb emailed me that they have removed the person.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ivett84 Only getting a first name is normal as Airbnb it is less likely to discriminate if hosts are not given a full name at the point of inquiry.

The rest is just dodgy 

Ivett84
Level 2
Malibu, CA

@Mike-And-Jane0 thanks, I didn't know that. I had other tenants and they had their full name.

Jamie957
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

I am dealing with this exact situation now! They asked to see the property first! Then they asked that they call me to make sure I'm legit so I oblige and I even sent them a video of our property and they booked for almost a month and have done nothing but complain about everything and nothing at the same time. They've lied an brought in pets when pets are not allowed and then said our newly renovated property smells like animals then brought in extra people not reserved AND are smoking pot (which idc what People do but not in MY PLACE) I dont even allow cigarettes inside)  

They even have a kid inside there & they've even brought in bigger TVs , furniture  chairs, blankets and all kinds of stuff !?!

@Jamie957  Oh sheesh! Who brings furniture and a TV to a STR? This sounds like someone who is not going to leave when the rental ends.

I’m sorry, but you have allowed too much to happen that’s not allowed in your house rules. You should have put a stop to this lunacy the first time a house rule was broken. My question is—why are you allowing this to happen? They would have to go. Do you need advice on the process?

@Jamie 957 do you have a co host Jamie ? I think it is time that you sent in the 'weekly cleaning team  advise via messenger that the cleaners with come to do linen change and clean on such and such a day . Tell them that the first clean is free but others must be paid for and a fee for extra service will be sent through  weekly . if you find a child present then ask the via messenger how old the child is and inform them that they did not put them on the reservation . also let them know that visitors are not allowed unless they ask and then only at your discretion . Also remind them to remember to follow all of the house rules especially the smoking rule and that no smoking of any kind must occur on the premises and then get the biggest bloke that you can to drop off a"  little gift' of fruit or movie tickets for when you are cleaning .Good luck . Try and get this disaster back on track and in future check and meet everyone and communicate H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jamie957 

I have to agree with @Gwen386 . These people could just be in the process of moving home, but also could be potential squatters. 

Remember, it's against Airbnb policy to communicate off platform prior to a booking being made. I know some hosts do it, but if things go wrong and you need Airbnb's help, it puts you at a disadvantage. 

@Helen744 is right in that you need to take control of this situation asap. 

I am assuming you have either some kind of surveillance or other way of monitoring the guests to know all of this? Just be a bit careful as guests can use the whole hidden camera/they are spying on us to totally screw over hosts. It's a common scam.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How outrageous. But unfortunately they are only getting away with this because you are letting them.

Detail this on Airbnb messaging expressing your concern about breaking of multiple airbnb house rules. Then contact Airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking because the pets, pot smoking, guests not on the booking and bringing in of major furniture.

@Ivett84 

I have given Airbnb customer service heads up about my last three bad guests. It does nothing. Always a different person on their side to address it and even sending pictures and neighbors complaints means nothing. 
tired of fighting to get the coverage I was promised for damage!

I'm so sorry it's happening to you @Jamie957 . Lately all my inquiries are scammers and I decline their request and report them immediately to airbnb. Its mind blowing how many of these people are out there. 

Hope you are able to resolve your situation and get those people out of your home. Keep me posted, if you don't mind.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

I've had 2 in the last month I dont entertain them just block them and report the profile, and move on, 

You are absolutely right. I have dealed with 4 fake guests exactly like that in the past years.  Too many scammers around us. Simply walk away from scammers