Security Deposit Refund

Answered!

Security Deposit Refund

Hi! If my guests were charged a security deposit with their booking, but it doesn't show on our breakdown of payment to us, will that be refunded by Airbnb?

After reading older posts, it seems as if Airbnb holds the security deposit and releases it if no claim is made. Is this still true now?

1 Best Answer

@Lize-Mari1 it was never true. The so-called security deposit has always been fake ; Airbnb doesnt charge or hold it. If there's any damage or other expenses you want need compensation for, you have to initiate a request for a new transaction ("Resolution" in Airbnb parlance) rather than a deduction from the fictional deposit. 

11 Replies 11

@Lize-Mari1 it was never true. The so-called security deposit has always been fake ; Airbnb doesnt charge or hold it. If there's any damage or other expenses you want need compensation for, you have to initiate a request for a new transaction ("Resolution" in Airbnb parlance) rather than a deduction from the fictional deposit. 

@Anonymous thanks for the feedback. So then just to understand right; the "security deposit" amount that the guests were charged on their side, wasn't really added to their total paid to Airbnb or to us as hosts? Was it held on their credit card or something?   

Because we don't need to claim it. Nothing was damaged but they need to know where that amount went, as it was requested on their side...

@Lize-Mari1 I don't recommend answering guests' questions concerning payment, because you as the host don't handle that. Just instruct them to contact Airbnb. 

It's possible that a test charge was run on their payment method to check that the account had additional funds available, but that doesn't necessarily correspond to your "deposit," as the latter is just a placebo for hosts and not a real thing. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lize-Mari1 "So then just to understand right; the "security deposit" amount that the guests were charged on their side, wasn't really added to their total paid to Airbnb or to us as hosts? Was it held on their credit card or something?"

It isn't charged, it isn't held. As mentioned, it is bogus. It is only there as an "if you damage something you could be charged this".  But if  the guest does cause damages, Airbnb doesn't just give you that amount. You have to ask the guest to pay, which most refuse to do. And Airbnb doesn't make them pay. You have to then go through Airbnb's claims procedure, to try to get Airbnb to cover the damage, which is zero guarantee you'll receive anythiing.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate your help.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Lize-Mari1 I believe there are technically two security deposits. The 'host required' deposit is a joke and not collected at all. In the unusual case that there is an 'Airbnb required deposit' this is presumably collected and reimbursed by Airbnb. I don't know how this works or how long it takes to get reimbursed.

Hi there! Somehow I never saw the answer. Thanks for your reply.

I thought I understood but this has still not been resolved. We asked the tenants to follow it up with Airbnb from their side, as we don't deal with the payments, exactly as a @Anonymous had advised. The tenants did so and we're told that we, the host, have to release the deposit in order for it to be returned to them. 

We have given it time, to see if it does get paid back if we don't put in a request for the deposit (as was also explained and advised we do) but still no luck. To leave it up to the tenants to sort out is not proving helpful because it now reflects badly on us, as it seems we have put in a request for the deposit or have not pressed some magical "release deposit" button... We don't know how to go about it... 

@Lize-Mari1 There is no magical release button. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/140/security-deposits

You haven’t received these funds and have no control over any damage deposit. It’s between the guest and Airbnb. I would reiterate that to the guest and move on. Unfortunately, Airbnb’s customer circus consists of untrained third party contract workers who pull answers from thin air. This is why you have the situation at hand. 

@Lize-Mari1   I don't think these guests are being honest with you.

So with this being said. Is there a way. Is as host can add a deposit?

AirBNB is trying to make it very difficult for hosts to protect their assets and rely solely on Air Cover and the "good graces" of the AirBNB customer service reps to get it right. I don't think so.