Seeking for Advices on refund for a cancelation 90 before check-in

Isabella337
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Seeking for Advices on refund for a cancelation 90 before check-in

I need some tips from the community. I booked a room of $3.2K per month on Feb 11 for summer internship in NYC (check in on May 31). But my intern company is relocated me to Dallas. I had to cancel this booking today (March 2), which is 90 days before my official check in date. 

Any advice or tip on how I should get refund if at all? Big thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Isabella337  Did you read the terms of the cancellation policy on the place you booked? When you book a place, you are bound by the cancellation policy that was in place when you booked. You could message the host and explain the situation- some hosts are willing to refund in full, especially if the booking is far in the future if they are able to rebook the dates once you cancel. But hosts aren't obligated to do that- they have a cancellation policy for a reason. Be aware that the host doesn't get paid anything until after a guest checks in, so the host doesn't have your money right now. 

But even if the host does agree to refund in full, that has nothing to do with the Airbnb service fee you were charged on the booking- you won't be eigible to get that back at all.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Isabella337  if you booked for over a month you will be liable for cancellation fees under their long term policy. As @Sarah977  says approach the host, tell them what happened and see if they will be flexible.

How a look at cancellation policies under Airbnb Help so you are familiar with them before you approach the host.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Good advice above, @Isabella337. Have you asked your employer if they'll  reimburse you for your losses?