Sharing a house with other (unsafe?) guests

Vita232
Level 2
Monterey, CA

Sharing a house with other (unsafe?) guests

I have a question.

I booked a room in the house that was not directly advertised as a non-host multiple-listings house. Having rented rooms in the host-occupied houses before, I didn't know it's possible to rent all the rooms in the house to different guests and live somewhere else. Based on the host's picture (with his son), it looked like I'm going to live with a family. There was no information or warning about other (multiple) guests. I ended up sharing a house with two young guys (I am a woman in my 30-s) – the fact I was casually informed about only after submitting the payment.

It could be OK (even though the place was somewhat dirty and badly-maintained), but one of the guests makes me feel very uncomfortable. It seems that he is not well psychologically. For example, he screams and throws things around in his room. This is just one example. There is more... When I expressed my concern to the host, he basically told me to mind my own business and my own stay – the wording he used was disturbing. 

I am now looking for a new place to stay and preparing to lose a handsome sum of money. I've read through AirBnb policies but it seems there is nothing about informing your guests about other guests in a house (are they men or women? are they safe?) or what to do when one of the guests is a psycho. 

15 Replies 15
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Vita232 it seems the issue is not really who is sharing the house, but how they are behaving. If your host lived there, but was behaving in this way, you would also feel unsafe-- and in fact the host's behavior now is contributing to your discomfort. RIght?

In your shoes I would call Airbnb and explain the situation, and ask them to help resolve it.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1373/im-a-guest-what-do-i-do-if-i-feel-unsafe-during-a-trip

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Vita232  Yes, contact Airbnb to rehome you and cancel the rest of this booking.

@Lisa723  I think that if a host is renting out multiple rooms to unrelated guests, i.e. a hostel-type situation, and the host doesn't even live on-site, it's incumbent on the host to make the situation clear in the listing info, no?

@Sarah977 Yes, I agree, but also it's on the guest to inquire if they care and there is any ambiguity. I certainly wouldn't make any assumptions based on the host's profile photo. Also, in this case it sounds like the fact was disclosed before the guest checked in, possibly within the 48-hour free cancellation period. Without seeing the listing in question, I don't have an opinion on this particular question. And that doesn't seem like the main issue here.

@Lisa723 No, one certainly couldn't make assumptions based on the profile photo, or we would assume that many listings are being run by the host's 2 year old or their cat 🙂

Oh, yes, I absolutely agree. I should have double-checked. I just never had such experience before (sharing the house without a host on-site). That is why I am not sure if I am entitled to complain about it. I just made an assumption based on the pictures and the wording of the ad ("my house", "you'll like my place", "the commonplace is the entire area except for the two private rooms" -> here it would be nice to add "where other guests live", etc.).

I just feel I was intentionally misled about the hostel-like set-up. I had to say "yes", since I paid (for the entire moth) already. But then it seems that the other two guests are not even AirBnb guests. I don't know who they are, and the host's response to my concern was:

"Hi, that was a joke?! They do their stay and you do your own."

@Vita232  Hard to say if you were intentionally misled- most properties, even if they are stand-alone with off-site hosts will have similar listing descriptions as far as "My house, my home, my place" because the house does belong to the host, whether they live there or not. And that kind of wording can make guests more respectful of how they treat the space, planting the idea that it is, in fact, a private home rather than some cheaper alternative to a hotel room.

But in any case, the host should make the hostel-like nature of his listing clear so guests understand the situation. And his attitude towards your feelings of being unsafe, which are perfectly understandable given the circumstances, is inexcusable.

By "rehome" you mean that AirBnb will take care of a new renting arrangement? No, right? I have to find another place, then move, and then ask for a refund. 

I don't want to end up on the street...

@Vita232  No, you contact Airbnb first, explain the situation and that you need to be rehomed to a suitable place and they will advise you how to proceed. They may send you links to other listings to choose from or tell you to look yourself and let them know, I'm not sure how they deal with these situations in that regard. And they will also deal with the cancellation and refund for the place you're in now.

@Vita232 Have you called Airbnb to ask them these questions? That is what I would do. They generally take "trust and safety" issues pretty seriously.  (This may not end well for your host, in that respect.)

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Vita232 

Could You post a link to that listing?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/16681987?source_impression_id=p3_1580903686_AdPdr%2FxEWezPVF1V

Now I also realized that not all pictures belong to this house.

@Vita232    Re: Images and accuracy.

Airbnb Guest Refund Policy:

"(b) the Listing’s description or depiction of the Accommodation is materially inaccurate with respect to.... Read more:  https://www.airbnb.com/terms/guest_refund_policy

@Vita232    

Thanks for posting the link. The host writes:

• This room is the largest in the hose consisting of 3 double bedrooms and a study.

He does not say that the other rooms are rented to guests also. I think he's avoiding to clearly state what the situation on site would be. I, if I was a guest, would not be happy with this description.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Vita232  your hosts response is appalling and he should make it clear on the listing that you are sharing with multiple guests. In future if this is not clear on the listing do check who you will be sharing with.

I would definitely call Airbnb, say that the guest is making you uncomfortable and scared and that the host is not willing to talk to the guest or do anything about the situation.

Ask to cancel penalty free and for their help in finding alternative listings.

Do leave an honest review