Shocking Search Filter

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

Shocking Search Filter

Experienced hosts often warn new hosts to be very careful with their advertising, wording and discount offers so they are not scammed by the bottom feeders out there who target inexperienced hosts.

Well, surprise, surprise, another OTA has sent out advertising for their "New Listing Discount" filter.  

Shocking.  

3 Replies 3
Ryan2352
Level 10
Thousand Oaks, CA

Both ABB and VRBO advertise new listings, especially those with the 20% discount enabled.  Interesting that this other vendor has a filter specifically for it.  Could help new hosts who need reviews.

@Ryan2352  No, it won't help them, it would attract bottom feeders, the worst kind of guests and they will lose money on them. New listings don't need discounts, they just need to show up on the first few pages in search for a day or two.

We started with the same prices we have today, 5 years later. We got a first booking 1 min after we published our listing.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I really don't like this characterization of people who click on a special offer because it looks like a good deal as "bottom feeders." Many of them are just sensible shoppers. I have nothing nice to say about people who try to scheme discounts and refunds that weren't on offer, but how can you really fault someone who doesn't have a bottomless bank account for taking an appealing opportunity that's presented to them? 

The main problem seems to be that Airbnb is luring unseasoned guests into new listings while also luring that very inventory from unseasoned hosts before it's really ready for prime time. So a search often yields a glut of incomplete listings whose hosts seem to have no idea what they're doing, and the only guests who are willing to book these are people with no sense of what to look for. Some new listings, I think whoever books that place for their long-awaited holiday is too gullible to be trusted with a credit card.

What would make me feel comfortable booking a new listing is not a discount, but rather a vetting process. The status quo is that the all the quality control is done by the first few guests. But QA has real-world value, and a mere 20% discount doesn't cut it.