Short term letting on Crete as non-registered European Citizen

Short term letting on Crete as non-registered European Citizen

Dear Community,

I am currently living on Creta in Greece, and I will be here for less than six months.

I have rented an apartment.

I am not registered to any official authority in Greece, as I am enjoying the benefits of a European Citizen still being registered in my home country.

Anyway I will be travelling around and I would love to sublet my private apartment for short term.

Can you help me regarding the official registration processes for short term letting in Greece?

(obtaining License or registration number)

I am a little confused about gsis, aade, VAT...

1. Is the first step to register on gsis.gr? Where do I register exactly?

2. Do I have to be registered to the authorities, declaring that I am living in Greece and not in my home country? (In order to successfully register for short term letting)

3. What are the next steps?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tom2583  I have no idea what the regulations in Greece are for short term letting, but the first step isn't any of the things you mentioned. The first step is making sure that you are allowed to sublet at all. Read the terms of your rental contract and talk to the landlord. A tenant doesn't have the "right" to just list a place they have rented on Airbnb. You could be evicted for that.

And I don't know how it works in the EU, but in any country I know of, you can't simply work or earn money in a foreign country, you need permission to do that. 

And who are you planning to get to co-host for you when you are away? You'd need someone to be on call to meet the guests, give them an orientation, attend to any issues that might crop up and make sure the guests are respecting the place. You can't just rent it out and and be somewhere else where you can't do these things yourself.