Should I ignore this when I rate a guest?

Loretta126
Level 10
Katy, TX

Should I ignore this when I rate a guest?

We normally don't have problems with guests, so I usually have an easy time writing reviews.  But I need some advice on whether this is important to other hosts or not.  The short version is that the guest that arrived yesterday was a jerk to me this morning (via text) because he was frustrated about something. Prior to arrival, they seemed very nice.

I suspect he's actually frustrated about finances, but the issue he "yelled" at me about was something else (disclosed in the listing). No expletives or personal attacks, but several long texts about how this was not what he wanted and is unacceptable and it's ruining his vacation and how he should get his way because he spent a lot of money.  It was definitely upsetting to me, especially since it should not have been a surprise.

I almost told him to leave and I'd refund him for the unused nights. Fortunately, I took some time to calm down and came up with a simple solution that seems to have calmed him down, too. 

Should I consider this immaterial when it comes time to rate him?  I understand accommodating requests is part of hospitality so I would not be posting this if it had been a request instead of a rant.

43 Replies 43
Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Helen744,

Uber isn't ubiquitous, and isn't a business that's currently allowed to operate in most, if not all, of the Caribbean Islands.  Taxi licensing is stringent, and requires very high investment and operational costs for drivers.  The regional governments are trying to protect their travel products and ensure quality service and guest safety by not allowing gig operators.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Debra300 wrote:

@Loretta126,

They appear to have little or no experience with traveling abroad, or to tropical destinations, or to places where the locals don't have backgrounds similar to theirs. 

The are climbing Gros Piton (a mountain) at high noon in the tropics in July despite our driver advising against it.  SMH

@Loretta126 ' only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun' tra la la la. H

@Loretta 126 not the old dead bug routine Ask them to pop it in an envelope and to call you if they see another as you are very particular about insects and cleaning.I had a guest, lovely people who carried their own dead dessicated bugs from their home state with them and scattered the here and there . People are weird but stay one step ahead .H

@Helen744  No Uber in St Lucia. We have a driver that works with us - he's not an employee of ours.

It's possible there was a dead bug - we have an open-air house (no glass over the windows, no weather-stripping on the doors) in the tropics.  We routinely have bugs and geckos and birds in the house.  All expected from a home in a tropical rainforest and revealed in the listing. 

My issue is the "wait 48 hours to mention it then report it to ABB 24 hours later and get three days free" possibility.

@Loretta126, I am mad about geckos personally but just tell them to leave the outside lights off or close the windows because nature lives here H

@Helen744  there's geckos, and then there's those creepy translucent indonesian geckos. only been around for about 10 years now, and a right pain. have they made it down to Vic yet? 

@Gillian166 I do not know of what you speak . Are they invading ? i have only seen gekos in brisvegas . They are cute little devils I like the sound they make too. Sort of like a pair of squeeky shoes with only one step. As if they are creeping up on you but they get the hiccups H

@Helen744  yeah they do make an interesting noise (ever heard a green frog? they are so loud when alarmed) but they are invasive, and live in the air con units, chew things, etc. impossible to keep out of a timber home. 

In my experience over the last 6 years the vast majority of guests whose behavior is aggressive, rude, etc is not due to them having a bad day but them looking for a refund.  We all have choices on what we would like to spend our money on, if a guest arrives and there is something that is not properly clean or set, a big etc they are welcome to tell me about it and give me the chance to address it within the first 24 hrs. If they ask for a suggestion for dinner, shopping, hikes, activity and they hate the activity that’s not on me.  I have actually had a guest complain about a house they have had to drive past to reach one of my homes.  I as a long time host would appreciate knowing if an incoming guest has had past run ins with other hosts where they were impossible to please, rude & demanding.  When guests have a reputation of this it can sometimes be risky hosting them as they make it their mission to ruin great hosts with a ding to their review reputation.  

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

I was ready to tell you that these people are awful before I saw this update a moment ago.  

Someone that's entitled enough to treat anyone awful, even for a second, just because they paid to stay at a nice home?  These people must be handled aggressively and without hesitation.  Bad guests are bad guests.  

And you review must hold nothing back on warning future hosts to their bad ways.  

@Richard531  sometimes I wonder if people are behaving how they think "rich" people behave? and their idea of "rich" comes from cliches, movies, media and badly behaved celebrities. 

Was just discussing this with my teen, who commented on how "normal people" (she means all us middle class normies) will try to look "rich" by buying brand name clothes with big logos and wearing lots of bling (spoiler, truly wealthy people don't wear lots of jewellery for a start). They are putting on a costume of what they see in the media, and possibly put on attitude as well. 

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gillian166,

I am going to add another layer to your comments.  Through advertisement there is a message that the Caribbean countries are just playgrounds for tourists, and that their every whim will be catered to.  There is no acknowledgement that real people live in these places, and they have feelings and thoughts.  Most ads depict locals only as providing services to guests, e.g., serving food and drinks, or giving a massage or spa treatment.  These advertisements perpetuate implied classism and racism.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center

@Debra300 yep  now I get that but honestly I cant wait to get there. Its on my wish list it sounds so special H Rock on

and the thing about Uber ,is it is like the Airbnb equivalent of taxis Current taxi drivers hate it because they pay so much for their liscences and Uber is the guy next door and his car, as long as it is no more than ten years old. It went quiet during covid though as did taxis generally as it was full mask up all the way.H