Should I report another host for address in their description?

Answered!
SueEllen0
Level 4
Danville, VA

Should I report another host for address in their description?

I was just diligently checking out my competition with other listings in the area when I came across one that listed their street address in the "Place" description.  I know that Airbnb prohibits this, so I was quite shocked t see it.  I'm guessing their algorithms didn't catch it because she left out some spaces.

It is kind of a small thing, but it makes me suspect that she is doing it to rent outside of the platform. 

Should I report her? And, if so, how?  (The little flag thingy has no such circumstances in its options.)

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I would agree with @Sarah977  in that it could be an error on the host's part.  Rather than taking a competition perspective, would you feel comfortable just sending a message about the address?  That is if you think you need to do anything at all.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@SueEllen0  I don't think it's any of your business. If she rents off-platform, that's up to Airbnb to catch. And plenty of hosts list with other platforms and through direct bookings- Airbnb doesn't own your listing. It's just not kosher to use Airbnb to suck in guests and then try to book them direct. And it's actually not at all to a host's advantage- hosts who have allowed pre-viewings say that it was a total waste of their time- the guest never booked and/or wanted to chisel them down on the rent. 

Unless she's an experienced host, she could just be naive- plenty of new hosts will put their address or phone number or a photo of the front of the house with the house number clearly visible, and when other hosts on this forum take a look at the listing and tell them they shouldn't do that, that it's a security risk, they say OMG, thank you, that never occurred to me.

I appreciate your suggestion in the 2nd paragraph, but not your tone in the first sentence.   

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I would agree with @Sarah977  in that it could be an error on the host's part.  Rather than taking a competition perspective, would you feel comfortable just sending a message about the address?  That is if you think you need to do anything at all.