Should be able to add photo's to reviews?

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Should be able to add photo's to reviews?

What do you guys think, Should we be able to add photo's in the reviews?

Good or a Bad idea? let me know your thoughts, You can do on BDC

7 Replies 7
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

I hadn't thought of that @Sudsrung0 but while there are pluses to the idea, I can also imagine guests adding photos of poor conditions or irrelevant photos or even naughty photos.  The photos should be entirely within a host's control.  I do the opposite and add reviews to my photos as captions.

@Sudsrung0  It wouldn't be a good idea for homestay hosts. Don't forget, they're inviting guests into an intimate living space, where guests may encounter personal items that weren't intended to be displayed on a listing for the whole world to see. 

To me, the point of reviews is not to produce a whole documentary about the stay, but rather to provide a brief account of the details that will most help the next person make a well-informed decision. As far as I'm concerned, a text description is good enough for that - no pictures, no stars.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

That's an interesting point. I remember an 'influencer' who stayed with me (no, I didn't give her a discount because I never asked her to promote my listing in any way) who was constantly taking and posting photos in my house. This included moving around furniture and standing on top of vintage chairs etc to get her angles.

I drew the line though when she wanted to make a video with me. She was really insistent about it so I had to repeatedly say no until she finally got the point. Even though I work in the media, I have no interest in my home or myself being plastered all over the internet in a way I have no control over. We may be inviting strangers into our homes and therefore perhaps some will argue that we have already forfeited our right to privacy, but I do think there is a limit.

@Huma0  I'm happy that "influencer" is not thus far a protected class under any non-discrimination policy. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than let one of those people into my home.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

Lol. Well I don't feel that strongly about it. I meet quite a few influencers through my job and some of them are actually very smart, savvy people and not all of them are entitled. I had one stay a few months ago who was one of the loveliest people I've hosted. I did check out her Instagram and the little videos she posted from my house were very nice.

However, I do still have a bit of an issue with this in principle. Is it okay for people to use images of your property, and in particular the interiors, for commercial purposes without your permission? I'm not talking about tourists posting photos to share with friends. I'm talking about people who make money from their IG following.

Perhaps it's a pointless discussion as it's all so normal now. No one ever thinks to ask, "Is it okay if I post photos/videos of the house?". 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I think this is a bad idea because I host one guest room in my home, and only have photos of the guest room and shared bathroom on my listing. Plus one of the balcony.   I would be worried that the guest would post photos of other parts of my home; although guests are welcome to use our sitting room and kitchen I don't really want these areas public to the whole world.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

That is a very interesting idea but I think it might be too much. Good pictures are already plentiful in my listing and I certainly do not want the bad ones out there.