States with Level 2 Coronavirus warning and maximum money withheld

Monica1621
Level 2
Beaufort, SC

States with Level 2 Coronavirus warning and maximum money withheld

Our "host" is withholding a refund in FL which is now designated as Level 2. We are going to lose several hundred dollars to avoid exposure for a trip with our child to Disneyworld.  At the very least, can't AirBNB limit the amount of money withheld, especially since we are trying to cancel several weeks in advance? It is unconscionable that hosts would not be compassionate enough to take public safety into account. 

Please don't simply refer us to a list of guidelines.  AirBNB needs to set a maximum fee if nothing else.

30 Replies 30

@Monica1621  The host is not "withholding" your money per se,  but rather they're upholding the terms of the cancellation policy that you agreed to when you placed the booking. There's no dollar maximum to the host's payout, but if the amount you stand to lose is in the hundreds rather than the thousands, you're coming out less unfortunate than quite a lot of people.

Airbnb is overriding host cancellation policies in circumstances where external authorities are barring you from traveling to the region or out of yours. Currently, there are no restrictions on travel between South Carolina and Florida that would prevent you from making your journey. I do think you are making the right choice by not going to Disneyworld at this time, but it is completely voluntary on your part that you are choosing not to go to the Orlando area at all.  Notably, the situation is evolving every day, and in the coming weeks there might be a policy directive or outbreak event that makes your situation eligible for a refund.

Plans and circumstances in life can always change in an infinite number of ways, and I generally recommend getting travel insurance cover if you're concerned about losing money over this. Insurers don't generally regard fear of infectious disease or cancellation of an event as valid reasons for claims unless you purchase a "Cancel For Any Reason" (CFAR) benefit. Also, some booking platforms and hotels offer free or flexible cancellation policies - don't forget to check these details before you book!

Monica1621
Level 2
Beaufort, SC

That doesn't really help. 

If a music festival is being cancelled by the state due to health concerns, why should this be any different  Surely hosts have some form of conscience as to doing the right thing, like the hotels are doing.  It's not like we are trying to cancel the day or even a week before.  Saying we're lucky we're not losing thousands of dollars is ridiculous.

@Monica1621  We might disagree on what constitutes "doing the right thing." In my opinion, the right thing for a guest do is to choose a cancellation or insurance policy that offers the degree of flexibility that you would hope to have if for any reason you were unable to make the trip. And the right thing for both parties to do when they have a contract with each other is to honor its terms.

I'm sorry that you have lost some money, but this is also money you wouldn't have if you took that vacation, so obviously it was an amount you decided you could part from when you made your plans. Hotels have a lot more capacity to absorb sudden losses than Airbnb hosts, who might depend on the income from just a single room. Perhaps hotels are a better fit for your needs in general.

And yes, you are indeed lucky if the biggest problem you're suffering today is losing some money because you decided not to go to Disneyworld. Consider yourself blessed! It's much more rewarding in the long run than an entitled attitude.

But that (hundreds rather than thousands) is not all that @Anonymous said, @Monica1621 .  It was just one point. The important bit here is that you agreed to the cancellation policy when you made the reservation. The host's conscience is neither here nor there. She is one of the lucky few who isn't being forced to become her guest's insurance provider through no fault of her own. 

Do look at your credit card agreement to see whether you might be covered. You just might. I hope so!

The host is providing a service that is independent of the festival. I've had guests book my place for events that I didn't know were on: should I offer a refund if that event gets cancelled? No, it's not my problem. If I was offering an event-and-accommodation package then yes I probably would offer a refund.

Many host are happy to issue refunds if the room is re-booked after the cancellation. The refund might not be 100% because the new booking may have been for a reduced amount. Perhaps ask the host to consider this, and stop assuming you are entitled to a full refund.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Monica1621 well-- if it's unconscionable that the host lacks the compassion (towards you) to absorb the financial cost of your decision to cancel, why is it not also unconscionable that you lack the compassion (towards your host) to absorb the financial cost of your decision to cancel? The current situation is not any more under the host's control than yours.

If I were in your shoes, I would ask the host whether, if you cancel now, they will be willing to refund any additional amount they can recoup by rebooking your dates. You could gently mention that if not, you have no incentive not to wait and cancel at the very last moment, claiming extenuating circumstances with Airbnb and asking them for a complete refund. If the situation worsens as your dates approach, you may have a good chance of getting that.

Are you kidding me?  You think it is not compassionate to hand over hundreds of dollars to a crook in order to comply with FL guidelines for public safety.  What is wrong with you people?  The "host" or rather the parasite is taking advantage of us as I am sure others are.  This isn't just a change of plans out of convenience---this is a public safety matter!

@Monica1621 Is Disney closing because of this public safety matter?

How many AirBNB's do you rent out?  Are you concerned about people contaminating your AirBNB? Are you allowed to cancel on them if you are concerned about your health?

@Monica1621 it's not clear who your question was meant for. If me, I have three listings, one of which is in my home. They are in the Puget Sound and Portland areas, both of which have outbreaks but are not currently listed in Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy for corona virus. So, no, I am not allowed to unilaterally cancel without penalty, unless the guest is traveling from one of those listed areas. I have offered my upcoming guests penalty-free cancellations, but so far nobody wants one.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2701/coronavirus-information-and-extenuating-circumstances-polic...

This is an uncomfortable and fast-moving situation for everyone. Most people are doing the best they can to juggle all the conflicting considerations and unknown variables.

@Monica1621  Both hosts and guests are "allowed" to cancel a booking anytime they want. Under normal circumstances, from the guest's end, they would be held to the cancellation policy in place and either receive some refund or not, depending on the terms of the policy. On the host's end, cancelling a guest booking would result in the guest being fully refunded and the host incurring many penalties, including a fine and the dates being blocked so they can't be rebooked.

When it comes to extenuating circumstances, Airbnb makes the decision as to whether a host or guest cancellation qualifies for full refund to the guest and waiving of penalties to the host. So depending on the location of a listing, Airbnb right now and regarding coronavirus fears, is allowing some hosts to cancel penalty free, and others are being told they will receive all the penalties. Just as guests travelling from or to some locations are being given full refunds, and those in other locations are not.

Your complaints should be directed at Airbnb if you feel they aren't being fair, rather than the host.

It's no more painful for a guest to lose money on a booking than it is for a host to.

I agree.  I did not see a way to complain directly to AirBNB.  I thought this was a general discussion area for guests and hosts, but apparently this forum is for hosts.  Is there a different forum for guests?

Monica1621
Level 2
Beaufort, SC

Not yet, but many other events in the area are closing.  I believe Disney is restricting who can enter the park based on symptoms.  Unfortunately, a person with the virus can be asymptomatic for two weeks prior to showing symptoms.  Disney will honor the return in full.  This AirBNB has a full month to rebook with someone else.   They have provided NO services whatsoever, so there is no reason for them to take our money and keep it.

@Monica1621 except that the host has been unable to book your dates until now, because they were holding the dates for you. This is real money, for the host, just as much as for you. If you are confident that the host can get another booking, why not ask them to refund what they can recoup when they do?

Personally, I've offered my guests penalty-free cancellations. (I don't depend on Airbnb for my livelihood, so am fortunate this is an option for me.) However, if they started calling me a crook and a parasite and asking what was wrong with me I probably would reconsider.