Stocking the refrigerator with a few basic items

Rose1940
Level 2
Drexel Hill, PA

Stocking the refrigerator with a few basic items

Hello everyone my name is Rose. I have had some beautiful vacations with airbnb.  Next month I'm traveling to Northern Ireland from Philadelphia.  Would I be overstepping my bounds by asking my host if she could do some light food shopping .Due to the fact we're getting in so late. I would gladly pay for the  the food and the service. Thank you in advance

16 Replies 16

@Rose1940  It totally depends on what was explicitly offered in the listing. When you chose a place to book, you might have used the filter "Breakfast" to choose a property that included food as an amenity. So if you did your due diligence, took your late arrival into consideration, and chose a home with inclusive breakfast, it would be totally reasonable to ask that the goods normally intended for the morning be left for you on arrival. If it's an Entire Home listing, they'll probably already be stocked anyway.

But if you chose a listing that didn't offer any kind of food or meal service, it would really be out of line to ask for the host to do your grocery shopping for you. Hosts who are genuinely amenable to doing that sort of thing will say so in their listing, and it's really not OK to ask them to do tasks they didn't offer after they've already confirmed your booking. Especially when the task is such an abnormal one as doing your food shopping. In this case, I think the better approach would be to casually ask the host if they could offer any advice about where to pick up something to eat after landing late. They might suggest a convenient place where you can do your own errands (as is normally expected of independent travelers). They might advise you to come prepared with your own provisions. Or they might offer on their own free will to organize a package for you. Accept whatever response they give you with gratitude. But absolutely do not ask for off-label services if you want to keep your great reputation as a guest.

Thanks for the information Andrew

Maybe I should have gave you a little more information. It's a farmhouse in the middle of the country there are no convenience stores. I didn't think it would be absurd  to ask for Coffee ,milk and maybe a loaf of bread....

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

That would greatly depend on the host and their setup, as well as what you are asking for. A host who is onsite, might be happy to make sure there is milk, coffee and some fruit or cereal for breakfast. (In fact, our last AirBnB we stayed at had stocked the house with milk, juice, yogurts, cereals, coffee, tea, tangerines and granola bars!!! We were totally surprised and kind of wished we hadn't gone out of our way to go shopping in advance).

On the other hand, a remote host, who lives far away might really struggle to get those items to the listing for you... And of course if there are dietary restrictions or an extensive list, that might present challenges of it's own.

The best bet would be to message potential hosts and politely explain your predicament and ask if they have suggestions for the best way to solve it.

@Rose1940  It's hard to say what's appropriate without knowing what the listing offers or whether it's hosted locally or remotely. My experience with countryside rentals is that they almost exclusively cater to guests traveling overland within the country. Late-night arrivals from overseas may not be something the host normally deals with, but if it's genuinely on a working farm there's probably some food on hand. Like I said before, if you simply asked the host for advice about the best way to get yourself set up with some basics for the morning (perhaps a link to the best delivery service), I'm sure they can advise you on the best solution. What not to say is "I didn't think this favor was too much to ask!"

My own preference when arriving late at night is to take a hotel room near the airport for the first night, and set out for the real destination the next morning after a leisurely breakfast.  International travel is more stressful than ever these days, and a long flight is not something I'd want to combine with a late-night road trip in a foreign country where they drive on the other side of the road 😉

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Rose1940   Ireland is a beautiful country and I am sure you will enjoy your stay!  Personally, as a host I would not be offended by a request of this type and always do try particularly to offer additional assistance to guests who have had long flights etc as I appreciate that they will be tired.  There are a number of supermarkets within the U.K. that will do deliveries and on occasions guests have asked me if I would be happy if they arranged an online order.  I would suggest that you reach out to your Host and ask if they would allow you to do this, ask which stores deliver to their area and arrange for delivery to arrive early on your first morning.

Kate ,  I had not thought about that ! thank you so much .That is a brilliant idea.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

what does it say in the listing about what's provided in terms of food items @Rose1940 

Many listings provide basics such as tea, coffee milk etc .

what time are you getting in?

you mentioned it's a remote farmhouse so presume you're going to get a car.  It maybe the airport shops are open and you could pick up some basics there or on route.

being a remote farmhouse in Ireland  I'd be surprised if they didn't offer anything 😁

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Rose1940 Just ask nicely saying it is not a problem if they can't help you. We have had people ask if we can take in a grocery delivery which was easily accommodated. If they have enough notice they can probably get your stuff with their normal shop. Just stress to them it is not an issue if it is too hard.

Thank you 

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

We have guests arriving next week (we’re rural) and they’re arranged an online supermarket delivery whilst the housekeeper and I are in preparing.  This was arranged  beforehand between the guest and I. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Rose1940  I agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  you can ask them if they would be willing for a fee to pick up some grocery items and make it clear you understand this is an 'extra' you are asking for and if they are not able to do it,  you understand....and if not, can they recommend any home delivery places in the area or other ideas/places where you get get some stuff for the first night/day.  If they say yes, be grateful, and if no, be okay with that too.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Our guests are asked to only buy their own meat, vegetable and liquor upon arrivals; everything else is already in our place. We end up buying these 3 things all the time for our guests, when they are arriving late and ask us to please do it for them. We have never viewed it as a bother or an insult when asked for such a favor. 

That's awesome. Keep you in  mind if I ever  get to belize

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Rose1940 

It's all in the way you ask! There's a difference between, "I'd like you to have the kitchen stocked with these items before I arrive." and "Since I'm arriving so late in the evening, I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how I might arrange to get these items stocked or delivered upon arrival?"

I would not be put off at all by someone explaining the situation and politely asking what the options are, offering to pay extra, and making it clear they understand if these things are not possible.

I would see a polite request as a chance to deliver a superior guest experience!

As a rule for myself, if a guest asks in an entitled way, even if I could do what they're asking, I tell them I can't. Those that ask politely I will go above and beyond for!