Strange opening message on instant book

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

Strange opening message on instant book

I’ve just received an instant book with the following message,” Oh here we go again. it’s Linda”. 
Linda has no previous reviews, is a new user (profile shows she joined this year), her ID phone number and email have been verified, we have no previous conversation history on Airbnb messaging. 

I can’t help but wonder who is this Linda character and am I supposed to know her? Or is she simply too exhausted to answer my opening questions such as: tell me a bit about yourself and what brings you to the city. I’m a bit worried I am about to enter the twilight zone when Linda arrives...

I’ve sent Linda a message: 

Hi Linda,
Thank you for booking my Airbnb for your stay.  Have you stayed in an Airbnb in the past or perhaps at one of my homes? I’m just wondering what you mean by, “Oh here we go again”? Sometimes I have a terrible memory, so I might need a reminder!

Just a thought, should I decorate with some balloons and streamers and hang a sign that says, “HERE WE GO AGAIN! WELCOME LINDA, ENJOY YOUR STAY”.

I could tie some noise makers to the sign. If only I knew if Linda has a sense of humour. 

This is a new one for me. 

13 Replies 13
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Brilliant comments  @Katrina79

Take comfort in knowing we all get communications like that from time to time.

You never know you may have met a life long friend!

All the best

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Katrina79 Weird. I don't really take this as having to do with a previous relationship with you though. I take it as she fed up with giving Airbnb more info? Like "Ugh, I just spent an hour uploading my ID and now here we go again, more questions." Maybe? I'm intrigued. Please keep us posted when you get her response! 

@Katrina79  You obviously have a keen sense of humor! I think @Emilia42  has hinted at the thought process here. Perhaps it was a “bubble thought”. Being a new user, maybe she thought she was addressing the unknown and annoying Airbnb “entity” asking her all these endless questions, and didn’t realize her thoughts were being relayed to you! 

@Emilia42 @Laura2592 @Colleen253 Linda has replied and yes it was that she was frustrated. Apparently she had to log back in three times and the price was showing pounds instead of dollars. I didn’t think it was a scam because she had paid along side her instant book. I guess it was just a long process for her to sign up and make the booking. Not exactly the opening I look for, but I’m pretty sure she will be a good guest. 
I’m still contemplating whether I should put up the balloons, streamers and welcome sign for her though...HA

@Katrina79 Its so nice for a post to be updated so we know what actually happened rather than being left in suspense. Do please let us know how her stay goes!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Katrina79  I had a message like that not long ago. It was something like "Hi its Linda  Whatever and I am having my friend contact you about booking. I am looking to stay again too. Her number is XXXX and she will be calling you." It was a scam. No one by that name had stayed with me and Airbnb blocks the number.  I got an automated message from Airbnb after the request saying that they had flagged it and that they would deny it for me. 

@Laura2592 @Katrina79 Wait a minute, both were named Linda?!

@Emilia42 yes mine was Linda someone. I have to look up the last name. I remember because my husband and I joke about everyone in HR where he works being named Linda. At first I thought it might be someone from his job. 

@Laura2592 

@Katrina79 's booking was from a Linda too. Weird, maybe this is a scam? 

@Emilia42 I think it might be. I was puzzling over my Linda message when Airbnb came in and cancelled the request.  I was trying to figure out who this guest was that wanted to come back. But they had never stayed. Maybe Linda changed her tactic so as not to flag AIrbnb. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If I need to give someone a fake name (and yes, there are legitimate reasons why you might need to do this), I tell them I'm called Linda. I have no idea why. Initially it was Louise, but it changed to Linda ages ago. I guess it's just a very common name.

I have a colleague who uses Andrew as his alter ego. Again, not sure why he chose that, but I will ask him!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592 I kind of doubt the same Linda is trying to book a place both in Maryland and in Saskachewan 🙂 It's not like it's an uncommon name.

Except some of us all got emails from "Maxim" last month at the same time trying to book our places in various parts of the world. And I can't remember the name of the last person who hit a bunch of us up with similar messages.

So it is possible that Linda is a scam, especially if she has no reviews and didn't answer Katrina's question about clarifying "here we go again."

Airbnb is screening communications from legit users, but letting a lot of scam artists get through. Not sure how their system can't detect multiple similar messages from a guest with the same name, even if they are using different accounts.