Submit Feedback - Seeing Where Guests are From in Upcoming Reservations page (COVID-19)

Chris225
Level 5
Flagstaff, AZ

Submit Feedback - Seeing Where Guests are From in Upcoming Reservations page (COVID-19)

Today I had to open 20-30 reservations to see where guests were traveling from. Therefore, I felt that the Upcoming Reservations page should show where guests live—so hosts don't have to manually open each reservation.

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/reservations/upcoming

If you also think this would be helpful, please submit feedback!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

Thank you,
Chris

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris225  Where guests say they live is often incorrect, either because they haven't updated their profile in awhile, or by design, to throw hosts off. I've had guests whose profile said they lived in New York, but in fact they lived in SF- they'd been Airbnb members for a long time, but never thought to update their profile. I've found the same with phone numbers- I just got a reservation from a woman who said she is originally from Spain, but lives and works in Calif. I noticed that her phone number was a European one, so asked if the number showing on her account was correct- she said she didn't realize she had negected to update it and sent me her current number. And that's not the first time that's happened.

@Sarah977 This may be true for some individuals, thank you for pointing this out. I'm not sure that it means we shouldn't have nor request this feature.

Are you suggesting that hosts should reach out to every guest regardless of location reported on profile to inquire if their profile is correct and start a conversation about cancelling if they're in an effected area?

@Chris225  I'm not suggesting that we ask where guests are coming from. I really feel it's irrelevant at this point, this is a pandemic that's showing up in more areas every day. And if a guest were coming from a highly affected area with many cases, they could just lie about it anyway if they were intent on booking. What I suggest is that those hosts who are quite worried about having guests in their home right now snooze their listings and not take reservations until things get under control. And that's a personal decision every host has to make for themselves.

@Sarah977 

All I'm suggesting is a change to the platform to help hosts identify and communicate with guests about current bookings—that have already been made—using their current profile information. I understand that the profile information could be outdated, incorrect, etc. 

Snoozing to avoid bookings is a completely different issue and is a bit off topic.

@Chris225  But considering the profile info could be outdated or untrue, I'm having a hard time understanding what you are wanting. We can already communicate via mesaging with any guest if we want to ask some questions. Sorry if I'm being dense.

@Chris225  @Sarah977  I send all guests a questionnaire with several simple questions whether they've booked instantly or via request. This includes where are you from and where are you coming in from for the purpose of this visit?   I also ask if they are booking for themselves or another person, (ferret out 3rd party bookings). I will now also include due to the Corona Virus concerns  if they've had any known exposure from persons who've tested positive for Corona virus or if they have been tested. I'm also going to inquiry if they've a cold, sore throat, stomach upset or other flu or flu like symptoms. Same thing cruise ships ask passengers upon boarding. I intend to take an abundance of caution to protect myself, my home and any future guests. 

@Dawn81 

Thank you for the response. That's a lot of questions to ask a guest and I understand you doing due diligence.  Curiously, would you mind sharing your thoughts on handling any information you might find alarming? i.e (colds, sick, flu, etc)

I really like the questions about booking for another, and adding where from and coming in from. We've added confirming guest count to each booking via question.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Chris225  Do you really think a guest who is intent on keeping their booking is going to say "Oh, yes, I've been suffering from a terrible cough all week." If so, you're a much more trusting soul than I.

@Sarah977 My post is about requesting a feature that I would find helpful—regardless of the outcome from communication that occurs with guests. These outcomes are a completely different issue and not what I want to discuss here, nor what my post was about.

I find these questions somewhat derailing the original intent of my post, and it seems that you would like to take this post somewhere else than where I intended. I'm not going to argue nor discuss about wether hosts can trust guests.

I trust guests. I trust people. AirBnB is built on trust. That's how I want to move forward. When it's otherwise, we learn, review, and make changes. Thanks for considering my request to AirBnB to improve the platform.

I'll do my best to respond to any further posts concerning "Upcoming Reservations page should show where guests live". Be well, be safe, much love, Chris