Super host status removed during bushfire crisis in Australia

Stuart116
Level 2
Sydney, AU

Super host status removed during bushfire crisis in Australia

After five years being a super host airbnb removes my status as a super host in the middle of a bushfire crisis in southeastern Australia where my little cabin is located. It’s usually the busiest time of the year for me and I had six weeks of solid bookings and one by one, as authorities called for evacuations of the area where my house is located, I recommended and in a couple of cases insisted that guests cancel and not come. My house was in imminent danger. It’s a miracle it’s still there and has not burnt down. I cancelled one booking at the last minute which was just as well because it was the worst fire day in Australian history. I kept all my guests informed with detailed updates on the fire situation. In one case I had to convince on guest not to bring his family after receiving separate messages from the guys partner begging me to cancel because he insisted on coming for the week. 

After all this I get a note from airbnb saying my super host status has been removed. And that’s even after I met the super host criteria. Thanks airbnb!

i am praying my house does not burn down. We still have a long way to go because this horrendous season is over.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stuart116  So you are saying you lost Superhost because of the cancellations? The Superhost calculations are just done by some computer algorithm, which has no way of knowing why you cancelled. You could have cancelled all those reservations by calling Airbnb and doing it under the extenuating circumstances policy, so they wouldn't have counted against you.

I would contact Airbnb about it and maybe they'll turn it around for you. Obviously you did exactly what a Superhost should have done- have concern for not only your own safety, but that of your guests.

@Stuart116 obviously the proper cancellation procedures were the last thing on your mind at the time but hopefully airbnb can make it right. I hope your house is untouched and you and your family are safe through this difficult time.

@Sarah977 I remember we had a funny exchange sometime ago where you gave a house fire is an example of clear case of extenuating circumstances and I said with Airbnb you never know? Obviously there’s literally truth to every joke!

Hi @Sarah977 

i was travelling overseas when this as all happening. India actually where the internet can be dodgy. I contacted airbnb  straight away and they waived the penalty but then within the week my super host status is revoke. So i agree with you that it's an automated algorithm that's caused this. I lost about six bookings in a couple of weeks, all last minute. I have written to them. When i was a superhost i could get on to them straight away but now i'm not then it's much harder.