Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Superhost but never given the option to buy stock.

Answered!
Victoria110
Level 5
Oakland, CA

Superhost but never given the option to buy stock.

Due to the pandemic I’ve not hosted since March as I have a small house with shared bathroom. Nevertheless I’ve been a super host since 2011 but  I never received an email offering me an option  to buy stock. Have been so disappointed in Airbnb about this .... and there appears no way to contact them about this, or anything else really.    

Top Answer
Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Victoria110    There was an initial email that went out to eligible hosts mid-November, asking people to return the pre-registration form to indicate interest. Eligible hosts who received that email were folks who reside in the US and had bookings in 2019 or 2020.    Hosts were given  4 days to return the interest form. 

That email was not an application form, it was only an interest form so the program administrators could gauge the number of interested parties. 

That same email was clear that not everyone who returned the interest form would be invited to apply. It said that if the program was oversubscribed (which it was) people would be invited to apply, and tenure was a criterion. Superhost status was not a criterion. 

If hosts did receive the invitation to apply from the program administrator,  applications were processed on a first-come-first-served basis, and the program closed pretty quickly due to being pretty substantially oversubscribed. 

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this - search for the topic "airbnb ipo" or "directed shares program". 

11 Replies 11
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I am unclear of the criteria for being offered stock; but if it’s any consolation to you @Victoria110, long-standing super hosts outside America, did not qualify for shares offer at all ..... 🙂 Maybe an American host may be able to assist you more. 💐

Thank you. I'm in California. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Victoria110    There was an initial email that went out to eligible hosts mid-November, asking people to return the pre-registration form to indicate interest. Eligible hosts who received that email were folks who reside in the US and had bookings in 2019 or 2020.    Hosts were given  4 days to return the interest form. 

That email was not an application form, it was only an interest form so the program administrators could gauge the number of interested parties. 

That same email was clear that not everyone who returned the interest form would be invited to apply. It said that if the program was oversubscribed (which it was) people would be invited to apply, and tenure was a criterion. Superhost status was not a criterion. 

If hosts did receive the invitation to apply from the program administrator,  applications were processed on a first-come-first-served basis, and the program closed pretty quickly due to being pretty substantially oversubscribed. 

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this - search for the topic "airbnb ipo" or "directed shares program". 

Yes, I understand this .. Thanks so much. I'm just curious why I wasn't included having been a host since 2011. I just mentioned the super host criteria as it signifies a consistent amount of guests. Thanks for your response.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Victoria110  why would you want to buy stock in a company that continually screws over hosts and have such terrible customer service? 

Luckily, I've had good experiences hosting through the platform. Thank you for your response. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Victoria110  I truly don't understand the problem here. You can buy AirBnB stock on the Nasdaq. You just order some up and buy some. 

I'm a host. I received the email gauging my potential interest in purchasing through the IPO, responded indicating interest,  and then I received the somewhat ambiguous email that left me to conclude that I wasn't being given that opportunity. 

If I want AirBnB stock, I'll just buy some on the market. I'm perplexed as to the fixation on the IPO. 

Stock prices rise and fall. You could end up getting a better deal than the IPO if you buy at the right time. Just sayin. 

Hi, My question isn't about how to buy stock it's about why I wasn't included in the initial option. Thanks for your response. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Victoria110 

You are too late to the party.

Kind of you to confirm that. My question is why wasn't I included. 

@Victoria110 

Whatever the reason was You weren't included, it's over.

Look ahead, not backwards.