Superhost status removed

Shirley-Ann1
Level 2
Mount Edgecombe, South Africa

Superhost status removed

Can anyone assist please?  My overall rating shows 4.8 but under opportunities I have been downgraded to 4.6.  Due to this, my superhost status has been revoked.  How do I fix this?

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Shirley-Ann1 The Superhost status only takes the reviews in the past year into account, while your property rating overall takes every review you've ever received into account: that's why the two numbers may not match. You will have to wait until next quarter to be evaluated to try and get it back.

https://www.airbnb.ca/superhost

Helen2589
Level 1
Huggate, United Kingdom

It is quite unfair to remove super host without warning, I replaced the kitchen a complete refurb with more energy efficient equipment also got two new sofas, and carpets and added new recycling center and sustainability instructions. The cottage is much higher standard and working towards climate change requirements.

Thank you for not supporting my efforts in making things better and more sustainable.

Due to your decision I will be using a more profitable booking agency from now alongside yours to improve my income.

Helen

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/43969249?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=e8501ed8-f4f9-4c14-92...

@Helen2589  What do you mean, "without  warning"? There is a specific set of criteria counted towards Superhost, which are available for you to check your stats onat any time. It should be obvious if one of the criteria hasn't been met, it isn't some surprise out of left field. 

I'm assuming you didn't meet the mumber of stays metric, as you were closed for renos? 

If it's any consolation, a whole lot of hosts, especially home-share hosts who have had to close because of Covid, are all going to lose their Superhost status.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen2589 

Superhost status has nothing to do with Airbnb supporting a host's efforts in renovating, making their listing more sustainable or anything else like that.

The assessment is done by a computer system and based on four specific criteria. Those are the star ratings that guests gave you (so hopefully your home improvements will be reflected by those), your response rate, number of stays/nights completed and cancellation rate.

If you have met the minimum requirements for all of those criteria over the past year, you will automatically continue to be a Superhost. If you do not, you will lose it for that quarter and until you do meet the criteria.

There should be no surprises as you can keep track of this at any time by going to Insights and then clicking on Superhost. Below you will see what mine looks like at the moment, and you can see that under each category, the minimum requirement is shown, e.g. overall rating 4.8, minimum 90% response rate, and so on.

As @Sarah977 has mentioned, you might be doing everything well but have failed on the minimum number of stays, or perhaps you had to make some cancellations last year?

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 16.11.51.png

Helen2589
Level 1
Huggate, United Kingdom

Thank you!

NO it was due to response rate, there is absolutely no proof of this.

I replied immediately I got a message.  Looking back some prospective stays messaged me the same question via airbnb site and by text direct to my phone, these texts were responded to immediately also.

So my guess is the computer does not pick up you replied by text, so my advise is to take care to respond only through the airbnb site and not via text.  

A computer is only as good as the programmer ;o)

@Helen2589  Of course responding to a message by text (off-platform) isn't recorded. 

I can't imagine why you would ever have thought it would be? Airbnb has no access to your text messages or phone calls. This has nothing to do with "programming".

But how did the guests get your phone number without having a confirmed reservation? Personal info like that is hidden until a booking is paid for, and after that, replies to messages from guests are not counted in response stats. Only responses to inquiries and requests are counted.

Helen2589
Level 1
Huggate, United Kingdom

I don't expect text to be counted, though this is the only reason I can see that response rate would be discounted.  I looked at all responses over the past year.  

My number must show when you accept and they ask further questions in order to make their decision, I don't give out my number.  There are many questions come after booking via text too.

I was only trying to help others to keep their super host and explain the only reasons I could find.

Thanks for all your answers.

@Helen2589  No, as I explained, response rate has nothing to do with responses to subsequent messages from a guest after their booking has been confirmed. There is something else going on that you are not understanding. Did you let any inquiries or requests expire before responding? 

And guests are not given your number after you accept, they are given your number after their booking is paid for and confirmed. 

You should not be corresponding with guests by text or phone to answer their questions. Tell them to contact you through the Airbnb messaging. It's okay to use texting or phone for something minor, like them letting you know they'll be a bit late arriving, but otherwise, you should keep the comms where there will be documentation of the exchange.