Superhost support resolution issues

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

Superhost support resolution issues

It is widely known that Airbnb lacks dedication to supporting homeowners hosting their properties. While I see the recent efforts to create new policies as hopeful, in practice, it's not coming even close to addressing costly issues in a timely manner. I have an unpaid balance due that has been ongoing with Superhost support since mid-June! That's too long.

On the weekend of June 19th I had a group of guests book last minute and then proceed to exceed my max occupancy by 5 or 6 guests. They signed my rental agreement stating they were bringing 7 guests. I was away on my own vacation, and stupidly responded to the instant booking rather than canceling it. When I saw they had too many guests on my Ring doorbell and driveway camera (they were well aware of because I stated the presence in the rental agreement they signed) I asked them to reduce the number or check out. The guest Jeanine Laugharn lied and said they would reduce to 8 guests and then just didn't bother. Afterward I went through the tedious process of collecting images of every individual member of her group and sent the photos to her through the resolution center, and she threatened to leave me a bad review and told me that I had "unacceptable manners" for telling her that she lied and needed to pay me for the extra guest fees! I pointed this out to Airbnb support, who can clearly read that this woman lied and can see the photo evidence and her threats in their messaging system, yet they still have not followed up with the fees due.

Airbnb you must get better about putting yourself in the shoes of your homeowner hosts and trust us more than you do your guests. We have, in many instances, made incredibly expensive investments to buy the inventory that you run your business on, yet you treat us like loser scofflaws. I want your respect, if we can't always get the respect of your guests.

6 Replies 6
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Why did you not call the police to have the extra guests removed?  In many municipalities STR's are regulated like Hotels, Motels and BnB's and the police can remove guests that exceed the allowable occupancy, overstay their term or create a nuisance. There is only so much ABB can do, they can contact the guest, but they can't physically remove anyone, it is up to you to protect your property.

I would suggest you contact your local police department and district attorney to review the ordinances for your municipality so you can be armed in the future with the correct information to compel the authorities to act.

The sheriff in my area will not remove anyone who has been given access to a property. So, I had to ask them to voluntarily reduce their group - and they immediately agreed and lied. This is why I require a rental agreement, because the guests sign it up front stating the number of guests they have permission to bring, and the fact that I have an enforceable max capacity.

To me, Airbnb resolutions should have paid the extra guest fees immediately after the guests rejected them, based on my Ring doorbell photos of the total guest count, and this guest should be removed from Airbnb for acting in bad faith. 

Why would they not remove the guests?  Did they tell you it was Landlord/Tenant issue?

You should do some research for your area.  I initially got the same response from the local police, state police, sheriff's department and the DA.  I found for my area that because I pay occupancy tax to the state the STR is considered a Hotel Room not a rental property and that gives the authority to the police to remove anyone that is not following the agreement (i.e. occupancy, length of stay, noise, etc.).

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

I wanted to post an update. After being persistent, Aircover did pay out my extra guest fees that were due. 

@Yvonne41 Kudos to you!!!

Good to hear!  I’ve had an issue twice but not to your extent!