The Solo Traveler

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

The Solo Traveler

The August/September 2019 issue of airbnb magazine cover story was... the solo traveler.

The story highlighted the increasing number of singles traveling alone and often as not choosing

airbnb lodging for their stays.

Nothing more was said or done about this growing demographic and how it populates the platform.

Now today April 2021 I have something to say about the Solo Traveler and that traveler demographic's  value to the

Airbnb community and hosts like myself who have created a place to stay which specifically and exclusively

is created and designed to serve them.

It is high time to add another 'filter' in the search .  Solo traveler is a customer base which never is catered to

on a conscious basis by the commercial lodging industry.  When you rent a 'room'  most likely it is to a single person.

OK. But beyond that is there any intentional lodging product created and designed to serve the single individual in

any special way?

I suggest the solo traveler knows that when an airbnb listing says it is for 2 people, i.e. up to 2 people, that person knows

there is nothing extra or special offered  which compensates for the fact that it is only one person or that a lone person might

enjoy a bit of luxury added to that lone lodging experience.

I can only report from my experience as a host with 2 guest houses.  One of which naturally accomodated 2 people and the other

simply was too small in its size for 2 but was in my opinion an wonderful place for ONE person, with extra cool things that I could

created which would make the experience of living there rewarding.

I named that little place The Parkside Crash Pad.  All my guests have expressed an appreciation of how they felt about the place

in their extended stay reservation. I think I am onto something here which I am trying to share with Airbnb.

And my big idea is that places like mine, which are unique and serve a population which I think is under-catered to, I ask Airbnb

to consider adding the filter- solo traveler- to the platform.

After all, they dedicated an entire magazine issue to the topic.  And I do believe the data will show that demographic has grown.

And with COVID 19 and self quarantining, and remote  work/travel  singles populating the world today... how about a Filter to serve

this growing need.

Host Susan990

Susan
8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan990  That would be cool. My listing has always been only for solo travelers, in fact it's part of my listing title.

I love hosting solo travelers. I find them self-sufficient, non-demanding, friendly and appreciative. They tend to communicate well and be socially adept, and because they are alone, most seem to enjoy friendly interaction with the host, which makes for an easygoing atmosphere as a home-share host. As opposed to a couple just squirreling themselves away in their room,  coming and going in their own little world without much acknowleging the host. 

And if they are used to solo travel, I find they often have really interesting stories of their travels and are generally really cool people. 

@Susan990  Interesting topic. I think the number of guests being selected as 1 automatically functions as a type of search filter, as it's likely to display properties that only suit 1 guest more prominently than, say, a 6-bedroom house. 

What special features and amenities do you feel are specifically targeted to solo travelers, which wouldn't also be suitable for couples or groups? Similar to @Sarah977 , I've found that solo travelers often seek out homes that offer social interaction with hosts and pets (at least outside of pandemic conditions), so they tend to be the ideal targets for Private Room listings. But when it comes to Entire Home listings, I can't think of a feature that I'd seek out that wouldn't be equally appealing when traveling with others.

Hello Andrew,  I appreciate your comments and opinions added to this topic, but the message I get from my guests and the Airbnb article itself is that solo travelers appreciate all the privacy considerations and personal services that couples are offered and even more.  Since they are alone it is because that is the way of travel that works for them. I disagree that they seek company from the host because they are solo.

When 30% of the bookings are from solo travelers I say lets think about how to make that individual feel special, feel served, offered a high value experience at a special place designed just for them.

Susan

@Susan990   Well obviously if you're offering an Entire Home listing, you're not attracting the guests who seek the company of others. That goes without saying.  

But what I'm asking is what special considerations would be more relevant to a solo traveler in a self-contained unit than to a couple or group? Could you maybe be a little more specific about what feature and design choices you've selected specifically around the special needs you believe these travelers have?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Susan990 "I disagree that they seek company from the host because they are solo."

Both Andrew and I are home share hosts, so you disagreeing is irrelevant. We are speaking from our own experience.

We find many of our solo guests appreciate host/guest interaction, and in fact that is one reason they choose a home-share listing in an unfamilar place. I'm not talking about a guest who expects a host to sit around and chat with them all day, they just like "knowing" someone in a new place, getting recommendations from the host on cool places to eat or visit, what to watch out for, where is safe to walk alone and where is best to avoid, etc. I've had guests invite me out for dinner because they preferred not to eat alone, or make dinner and invite me to join them. I've done the same for them.

So you obviously have a different situation which doesn't involve close personal interaction with travelers and I also wonder what you are referring to as far as special accomodations for solo guests.

Your comments support my assertion that a Solo Traveler filter is indeed a great idea to add to the platform. Thank you for your contribution to my suggestion.

Susan

@Susan990  You still haven't explained what special accomodations or features you think are relevant to solo travelers.

@Susan990  Ok neither @Sarah977 nor I seems to be getting through here, so let's try a thought experiment. Put yourself in the position of a solo traveler using the Airbnb listing search. Imagine that you try two search formats:

1)  Entering only your target location and the number of people in the party (1).

2) Entering your target location and the number of people in the party (1) but also clicking on a separate button that says "Solo Traveler."

What specific differences would you expect to see between the results generated by search 2 and search 1? Which features are more finely-tuned to the needs of a solo traveler that would make one search more relevant than the other?

You're trying to get a message through to Silicon Valley, so please think like a programmer here:  "if not this then that (INTTT)..."