The Tale of the Sale

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The Tale of the Sale

Wanted to update everyone as the sale of my Airbnb had just closed. In typical fashion, it was ridiculous right up until the end. 

1. The next to last guest (vegan bakers who needed an entire kitchen inventory) did indeed have extra people and were caught. I did not want to post about it as they freaked out that I have a Ring camera and I knew at least one of them had hosted before, so I thought they might see my reaction in  the forum. They claimed it was "not disclosed" and tried all kinds of threats and shenanigans (it was fully disclosed). I only had one more guest after them and he was a friend of a friend so I figured if I got investigated indefinitely I could just rebook with him directly. They left poor scores on a retaliatory review which didn't matter as I was not listing the property any more. My review of their group was very brief and factual ("Not a fit for our space. Required items we did not have. Brought extra guests. Did not follow house rules. High usage of items in the space and cleaning took extra time as a result.") was inexplicably removed.
  2. My great neighbors were replaced by a family who immediately made it clear they would not keep their property to the same high standard. So my cottage would look out onto uncut grass and trash in the near future.
  3. My buyers loan fell through because they shopped their rate to a credit union unfamiliar with rural properties. They were forced to spend $7000 on "repairs" that no legitimate lender would require and at the 11th hour the loan was denied, despite a commitment letter. Closing was delayed by a week while they found another lender. The appraiser went so far as to insist we tear up floor boards so that he could examine a basement that had been filled in and totally inaccessible for at least 80 years.
  4. A neighbor across the street who owns a business property with partial border to our yard started calling the buyers directly and making claims that we were in an active lawsuit. Why? Because he was annoyed that we didn't come to him first and ask him to buy the property at a discounted rate. We had one interaction with him in 3.5 years and he passingly mentioned that his family owned the property in the 1980s. So apparently he thought he had first dibs? He was mad that we didn't have signs and no one approached him to ask for his opinion. Uh...ok. He is elderly and may have dementia. We contacted him multiple times and yet he continued to somehow call the buyers directly. I think he must have run into them on one of their many inspections. We had to contact attorneys.
  5. The new buyers asked if a builder could come on site and start some plans for "expanding" the house. My heart breaks at the potential. I said they would have to wait until they owned it. 

So all in all, the universe conspired to say "Now is the time to GTFO, Laura." And I listened. When its time, its time. 

Stay tuned for the next adventure! I honestly need a break from ABB for a while but I may do STR on some other platforms. Undecided. But I have earned some rest.

I am very sad to lose my little schoolhouse but very pleased to not have to deal with any of it any more.

29 Replies 29

@Laura 2592 In Australia unless a home is bought 'with chattells'  then no personal movable stuff is bought by the new owners only fixtures and fitments . Certainly nothing in a cupboard . How intensley creepy all the best H

@Laura2592 wrote:

I have never had anyone bitch that they got extra stuff with a sale. As someone who buys exclusively old houses, I always look forward to the discoveries after closing. I have found some really good stuff.

@Laura2592  we call it "finding gold bars under the floorboards". Our lovely old farmhouse came with a cellar full of very old white wine. someone had taken all the reds, assuming whites were worthless, but chablis, chardonnay, reisling.... they also age very nicely over 20years! We had a blast opening them all in the first 6 months.  

@Gillian166 man I would love to find some old wine! So far all we found in the new place is a basket and some mice droppings behind the fridge lol.

@Laura2592  we looked at another old farmhouse just last week, it also has a cellar full of old wines!  that made it very tempting, haha, but actually it's just too much work (I mean: money) to fix that old house. The joys of living in a wine region I guess. 

@Laura2592 I remember a couple on a post after buying a house asked the outgoing owners to come and get 'the food in the yard'. they meant the vegie plot .People are odd thats for sure H

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Sheesh. Enjoy being rid of Airbnb,  @Laura2592. It’s rather a good state to be in. 

@Colleen253thanks! Looking back, I think this property may have been bad luck for me lol. I love it with all my heart but some of the experiences are just beyond, even with the current owners. I am hoping for better vibes in the next place!

@Laura2592  so, it's finally over ha? 🙂 If someone needs a break that's you, for sure.  That cottage must have been hunted bc how else to explain such a concentration of weirdoes in one place.

Next time, before purchasing the place bring a psychic with you, and hang some garlic just in case 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0100%

The place we are purchasing next is a little farmhouse that was totally rehabbed for an elderly parent. I actually did a tarot reading on it and will sage before we start doing any work. I am not even kidding.

haha @Laura2592  I am not kidding either 😄 😄 Sage, yes, burn a pile of it, it can't do any harm 😄

Farmhouse, great, if AI loves you, you may even get a category 😄

@Branka-and-Silvia0  seriously. This whole new search came up as we were finishing our contingency period and I thought "well, at least there is a category....not that the AI would even figure that out..."

We have talked about doing a tiny house on the property as well if we go for STR. Its a big property. But I think that will blow up the bot if they have to figure that out.

Some pics....farmhouse.jpgfarmhouse view.jpgfarmhouse 2.jpg

That is the farmhouse, the view and some of the woods on the property. Not sure if this is category worthy....its not a castle nor a yurt. 

@Laura2592  Beautiful!! Hopefully it’s a great swap and a new chapter for y’all. 

I wonder if it might have some weird spiritual energy attached to it. I am being serious! 

@Kristina46 I never felt anything like that and I am someone who tends to be kind of "sensitive" to environments with weird energy. I love old houses and have probably toured hundreds in my adulthood. There are definitely times when I am "nope! Not happening" on a property that looks great otherwise. 

But you can't argue with the strange things that happened in our space when we hosted. Its such a pretty property inside and out. I kind of think it just vibed with certain people and definitely did not with others.