The new one day between guest policy is another policy that is killing the host!

Answered!

The new one day between guest policy is another policy that is killing the host!

Here is a letter I hope finds it's way to the CEO and Board Members on Airbnb.

Dear Airbnb Founders

Once again you have chosen to make decisions for us the hosts that affect us and not you.   This idiotic policy of making us wait one day between guests.  What you are telling us is how we should do our business.  I have a professional cleaning company clean our unit between each guest.  They use disinfectant and bleach products to clean all surfaces.  If you look at our reviews, you will see that our place is always sparking clean. 

Your assumption is that you will protect the guests from us, who do not know how to run our personal business.  This new policy now gives me at least a 15% to 20% vacancy rate.  Currently we have about a three present vacancy rate.  It must be nice to make policy that affects the people who own all your product.  I must bear the cost of your asinine policy.

Just last month you said that you would be a better partner.  So, this is what being a better partner looks like.  You give a false promise of 25% of our cancellation policy, which is in realty 12.5% return if our guest cancels within 14 days.  Not only that, some of the reservations we have for this summer will be canceled to accommodate your stupid policy.  Adding insult to insult to injury over you Covid policy.  That policy cost us most of our high season.  We are losing nearly $30,000.00 between both bad policies.  Oh, I forgot to thank you for the $500 check.   

Show us proof of one case of Covid-19 virus transmitted from a host’s property.  There is not one.  Now Airbnb presumes to be medical experts.  Let us see the evidence that your brilliant policy will have any effect on stopping the virus.  And just how long will this stupid policy be in effect.   

Well at least the hotels and motels will not have this policy to hinder them.  This is two crazy stupid things you did in a row and did not ask us first.  I cannot believe how poorly you treat your inventory.  Unless this nonsense stops, I will be forced to take my condo somewhere else.  Perhaps there are enough of my fellow host that will join together and become your competition.    Enough is enough.  I can't afford continue to do business with you making the decisions that are best for you and not a compromise with the host (who holds what you need to operate) our homes on your platform.

I doubt that this will find its interned target.  You need to let us know before you make a decision about things that affect us the hosts.  Using vulgar terms, you have screwed us.  Looks like I will start driving my business towards VRBO and Booking.com.  You cannot be in the Hospitality business if you do not have inventory.  You need to remember that we own the property and you do not. 

Top Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Mark--Airbnb-Host-0 from across the Pacific Ocean in Auckland, New Zealand, please read the other thread on this topic as they have clarified it's for those who allow hosting of those who are working with Covid 19 patients and are essential service personnel.

If you use related keywords in the search box it will pop up.

Take care & maybe see you one day here in NZ when we get our borders back open again as they should have remained as there are Laws & procedures in place that should have been exercised well prior to such draconian measures - blanket approaches & one size fits all is short-sighted.

7 Replies 7
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Mark--Airbnb-Host-0 from across the Pacific Ocean in Auckland, New Zealand, please read the other thread on this topic as they have clarified it's for those who allow hosting of those who are working with Covid 19 patients and are essential service personnel.

If you use related keywords in the search box it will pop up.

Take care & maybe see you one day here in NZ when we get our borders back open again as they should have remained as there are Laws & procedures in place that should have been exercised well prior to such draconian measures - blanket approaches & one size fits all is short-sighted.

@Helen427 any chance you can post a link to the thread that has the solution? I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I wanna know how you have a 97% occupancy rate! I can only dream of such numbers. I was at 55% for 2019 but now I'm pretty much at 0%. 

The key for us is season pricing and location.  I also run analytics my local competition and make pricing adjustments.  Also, we keep our place sparking clean and repair or replaces things as necessary.  We treat this as a business.  We offer a better stay than most other places in the area.  We have an Oceanfront property 30 feet from the water.  So, I guess that locations is everything. 

Mark

Marilyn374
Level 2
Southold, NY

I manage 6 rental properties for local homeowners and own a bed and breakfast Inn which I am currently advertising on AirBnB as a single unit, because being located in New York, no one is coming to my BnB to socialize and eat breakfast with total strangers. However, due to the number or people needing to escape their small apartments with children having to home school and parents working from home my rentals have been almost entirely booked since mid March and continue to be solidly booked through the summer. My town recently introduced a two week minimum rental for private homes, so I cannot afford  to lose a rental last minute. Also having to leave a house vacant for one day in between rentals would mean I could actually lose one week. People always want to check in on a Friday or a Saturday. It's like dominoes. What happens when the check in day is suddenly Monday but I already took a reservation for the following Friday? Not thought through at all. 

I have always maintained a super strict cancelation policy and opted for the pre payment plan ( based on my cancelation policy)  for which I was willing to pay an additional percentage . Having a strict cancelation policy never affected my rate of bookings ( I don't think the guests read the small print).

I just found out though that Air BnB is no longer honoring my super strict cancelation policy, and are not paying me until 24 hours after check in, even for reservations in July and August. Which means I have no cash flow and no protection from last minute cancelation. My question is, why doesn't Air BnB offer travel protection insurance to their renters through a company like CSA so that I am protected as well as Air BnB?  It makes no sense for me to accept any bookings through AirBnb under their current policy. Home Away is still honoring my strict and super strict cancelation policies and advance payment. I will be booking through them

@Marilyn374 wrote:

... so I cannot afford  to lose a rental last minute. 

I have always maintained a super strict cancelation policy and opted for the pre payment plan ( based on my cancelation policy)  for which I was willing to pay an additional percentage . Having a strict cancelation policy never affected my rate of bookings ( I don't think the guests read the small print).

Hey Marilyn! You are a latecomer to this discussion, good on you for having maintained life as normal up till now!

As for not affording to lose last minute rental - totally agree, so many of us are in the same situation.  With quality and highly sought after propertie,s booked long in advance with "strict" policy, we made investments, bought sheets and towels, renovated in preparation for all of our "strict" booked customers were were expecting for 2020.

I'm in Spain so impact was 5 weekss ago.  Airbnb sent around an email with a big red cancel for free invitiation button.  In 3 days, my 2020 season was wiped out.  Even those guests who did not fall in the criteria, expected to be able to cancel for free.

Others decided to hold on to their reservation, blocking others and locals, because they knew they could bail out last minute.  I had 5 people keep their reservation on my books, despite knowing with certainty they could not travel, "just in case", blocking my calendar and making me refuse locals.

Like you many hosts have strict, since they are really good properties guests never bothered to look into this. Like a non-refundable hotel reservation they agreed to lose their deposit in case of any cancellation. 

But whoops, Airbnb sent around the "cancel for free" email violating what was our understanding of the "strict" policy.

HomeAway is letting hosts manage themselves their contract with guests, and indeed you can negotiate and give something back or not.  This is precious in these times.  HomeAway is however penalising hosts if you do not refund you will get dinged in search results.  But it is still your choice you can enforce your contract and get the deposit paid.

I am wondering if Airbnb is not facing financial challenges due to their red button cancel for free email, since now they have started asking all guests for supporting documents again (which is normal extenuating circumstances policy and should have been in place from the start).  It seems they are now proposing vouchers for future travel, which is what should have been done from the beginning.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

The Airbnb model already squeezed us to the max, coercing to provide free or at least subsidised cleaning services and sheet and towels..

What property can clean and do full laundry for 30 euros?  That is a huge lie!  Every host lose money on the first nigh!

The only reason it was possible was because the occupancy was full.  Well, now, occupancy not full, cleaning burden x10 with the corona guidelines, we are supposed to do for free, and now blocked day between guests.

All of this should be repercuted in the new prices which will be 40% higher in every market than last year.

I hope I will not be receiving any more tips that I should adjust my prices down in order to rent my place.

On the positive side:  maybe Airbnb (Brian Chesky are you listening?). will privilege  host with long term relationship who have provided consistent good service and "sparkling clean" properties, over newbies offering discount stays who don't know what they are doing.

Now