The removal of the Key Icon which gave me the ability as Check in instructions to ArrivingGuests

Corey130
Level 1
Tampa, FL

The removal of the Key Icon which gave me the ability as Check in instructions to ArrivingGuests

You use to have a small key icon in which I could send out the link to the Check-in instructions to all my arriving Guests which was great because AirBNB is a new experience for a lot of people and the link brought them directly to the check in instructions.
Then your stupid ass IT people felt it was "redundant" and took the key icon away so now as a Host we can no longer send Check-In instruction links to our arriving Guests.
Guess WHAT!!!! Sure enough!
I had 2 Guests arrive today and 1 of them just called my cell phone 5 times repeatedly waking me up because he doesn't know where to park and and cant figure out where to find the **bleep**ing code.
HE WOULD HAVE NO ISSUES IF I WAS STILL ABLE TO SEND HIM THE CHECK -IN INSTRUCTIONS!!!!
Then the other one messages A hundred times through the App because they cant find the check-in instructions in the App and dont know what to do.
HE WOULD HAVE NO ISSUES IF I WAS STILL ABLE TO SEND HIM THE CHECK -IN INSTRUCTIONS!!!!
Why would you remove the key icon?
What was so wrong with being redundant? Bring able to send check in instructions links to our Guests made it easy for me because I could send it in the morning and know they have a direct link with instructions on what to do.
Now. No one knows what to do. Your making the arrival experience difficult for guests and irritating for hosts.
And yes! I know what I'm talking about because unlike the idiot App IT Person that thought removing the icon was ignorant- good idea. The guy that sits behind a desk and knows the App inside and out btw.

I am s 5 star Host that has been in Hospitality industry for years and knows first hand just how stupid, nervous and confused people are when traveling to begin with. Not to mention this is a new experienceall together for alot of first time As AIRBNB travels! Having a link that I as a host can send to my Guests that included check-in instructions like where to park and their access code for the door makes it easier on everyone!!!
Then You Idiots decide we dont need it. SO STUPID!!!

Day NUMBER one without the **bleep**ing key icon and I'm literally being woke up at night with phone calls from Guests because your Spp in CONFUSING and I'm pissed off now bitching feedback to you after they woke me up.
ALL UNNECESSARY SND ALL CAUSED BY STUPID CHANGES YOU MADE.
Sure enough, after you've removed the key icon 100% of my Guests are now confused at arrival and they they shouldn't be!
But.... thanks to you....I cant send instructions because one of you retards thought it would be a good idea to remove somthing that could not have been a problem having what so ever!
Seriously thinking about hosting elsewhere!
Completely stupid on your part!
AirBNB is a growing App- if its NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!!
You would think before you made decisions like pulling functions such as being able to send Guests instructions that just mabe you'd consult with TOP RATED HOSTS instead of come up with RETARDED ideas like this about a table in IT amongst a Group of people that know the App inside and out.
You taking away the Key Icon was ignorant- and it pisses me off because its causing my Guests to be confused, causing me more work to de as l with them at crucial times like WHEN IM TRING TO SLEEP!
Worst decision ever made st AurBNB and I strongly feel any Employee who thought it was a good idea to remove the key icon which was a way for Hosts to send the Check in instructions to their Guests needs to be Fired.
PS... I'm also posting this on Social Media because I'm pissed.
-Corry Hillard

8 Replies 8
Dalyn0
Level 2
Vancouver, CA

I am having the exact same issue! why why take that away?? the guest has no idea where to find the self check-in info on the app or his computer. now i have to send screen shots of the checkin guide i made. i'm looking like i'm the idiot. this is going to be a serious issue. ohhhh and i just realized - WILL THIS EFFECT MY CHECK IN RATING!? of course it will!!! as there are no clear instructions for the guest that i can send them. arrrgggg... *dalyn

Have you reported this issue to Air? I have come to rely heavily on this link and the key Icon makes it a seamless experience for host and guest. 
I reported this as a bug and as feedback. I also called CS but not sure what will come of it. 
in the interim, I was able to copy and paste the link from previous messaging and keep that in NOTES on my phone. But now I have to open both apps, copy and paste and hope I paste the correct check-in guide to the correct guest. I have 3 listings on one property, each with distinct instructions. And my parking and entry are not straightforward or intuitive. And guests generally do no deep reading. I send that link 3 days prior and AGAIN on the day of. Bring back the key!!!

Sebastien217
Level 2
Terrebonne, Canada

I totally agree with the fact that removing the Key Icon is a bad idea even if the message of Corey is really rude. I was going to send the instructions for the arrival of my next travellers and I couldn't find it anymore. What a bad idea you had !

Agreed. Please report as a bug and as as feedback to Air. 

Sebastien217
Level 2
Terrebonne, Canada

Once it said, you can only copy the link you sent with your last travellers and paste it to your new one.

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I think it's a really stupid idea too. When I called airbnb they said it posed a security risk. Although a solution is available. You now have to click the page icon, create a new message, at paste the url that links to your checkin instructions. After you save the message you can easily paste into a new message. Really a horrible decision and hopefully they remedy it. Worst part is that Airbnb needs to be more transparent with these type of huge changes.

David595
Level 3
Portland, OR

I agree that it was a bad idea to remove this handy tool. Unfortunately, I suspect that the reason was because relatively few hosts used it (and I'm sure they have statistics on this) along with a minority of guests. There's one fact that I know about utilization. I've had something like 1,000 guests in the last four years. Most of them received the check-in guide link, which I began using as soon as I discovered it, back in 2017. One cool feature of this guide was that when the guest clicked all the way through to the end of it, I would receive a message on Airbnb saying "<Guest Name> has checked in." 

However, despite sending the link to literally hundreds of guests, I would only receive this checked in note once in a blue moon. Out of perhaps 600 or more people, I think I can count on one hand the number of times I received such a note, despite the fact that in the guide itself I specifically asked guests to go all the way to the end, since doing so would generate an automated message to me that they had checked in.

Room photo showing where to find all the information a guest needs, including the WiFi password.Room photo showing where to find all the information a guest needs, including the WiFi password.

Photo showing my sweet dog, along with step-by-step directions to walk guests to their room.Photo showing my sweet dog, along with step-by-step directions to walk guests to their room.

That means either that the system was faulty and didn't work well, or that almost nobody used the information as intended. So if the number of hosts here complaining is only a small subset of all hosts (probably waaaay less than 1%) my guess is that the IT department wants to pull out any extraneous clutter from our view and simplify things for hosts (who are perhaps less sophisticated than we are, the enlightened few, who are actually able to use such interesting and valuable tools) and make things easier for the larger number of hosts who are unable to figure out how such things work. 

So if you miss the tool, maybe you should feel just a little smug and superior, because apparently you're in a tiny minority of super smart hosts who actually understand a thing or two about how all this works. 

Or maybe they're just trying to figure out a way to minimize security risks, which can certainly be a real problem. We can only hope. In the meantime, I'm still able to use the link to my check-in guide, using the links that I inserted into the saved welcome message that I send to every guest. I'm just not sure at this point if a guest can actually see it, but I think they can. I hope they don't remove this information entirely , since it took me the better part of a day to take the various, carefully staged photos that walk a guest to the room, along with the six or seven separate pages of carefully edited written instructions.

I'd be curious to know how many people received regular automated messages saying that their guests had checked in. How many people really used the information as intended? 

Don't get me wrong. I definitely miss having this tool, and I'm not sure if my current workaround is actually feasible, or will be over the long term. But I do understand the potential for security problems, and I suspect that the tool was severely under-utilized to the point that it was hard to justify having it so prominently displayed. 

Maybe they could create a separate interface that would be available to hosts that knew how to use it; or a hidden suite of tools that advanced users could access but that wouldn't clutter up the screen real-estate for the inexperienced or non-computer savvy masses.

The one bright side that I take away from this is that the apparently tiny minority of hosts who actually used the tool are the best and brightest of hosts; the smartest guys in the room. So I'm doing my superior dance now, if only ironically. But it's not really a happy dance, since I miss this handy little tool.

Megan38
Level 2
Otago, NZ

Same issue, I always send guests the check in details as it has photos and clearly helps guest where English isn’t their first language.  Please bring it back!