Thoughts on Remote Hosting?

Asaawe0
Level 2
Dallas, TX

Thoughts on Remote Hosting?

We want to understand some of the challenges or hangups people have with remote hosting and see who would be interested in a service that allows you to remotely host your property.

Disclaimer: We are developing a system that will give STR hosts access to housekeepers, errand runners, and delivery personnel, so they can manage their listings from afar. The goal is to save money, automate a bunch of stuff that is currently being done manually, and decrease the average time spent managing an Airbnb listing.

Let us know if this is something you would even care about and if so, what it would need to have to make remote hosting feel a lot more safe.

1 Reply 1
Marc752
Level 1
Texas, United States

Challenges and hangups, that's like asking the Spartans for Earth and Water. This is actually a very interesting topic.

We have STR properties in a couple different states. So according to this thread I am considered a remote host.

As a regular host we all have our team set up and when a wild haired problem pops up with guest, we all have so many was to solve the problem. Sometimes we have to get off our pile of money and put our child's bunny slippers and hop over to the unit and remove the stinky diaper or guest off the front porch. As host we always just make it happen.

As a remote host there are support challenges that must be figured out before acquisition. The profits are usually really great. However, you do not have the kind of backup that you normally would as a traditional host.

Let me give you an example. I have a property that is 1,087 Miles from my house that I STR only. I had a guest there that had booked 12 people for 3 days. Now at 9:00 P.M. I looked at the outdoor cameras and not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. At 10:00 P.M. my ring camera starts buzzing repeatedly. I'm thinking maybe they're bringing some items in and out of the house.  When I finally look at the camera, I see that my driveway is full of cars. I see the police department out in the middle of the street directing traffic. I see lots of people walking down the street and sidewalk. There must be a natural disaster, I thought because there were so many people in this quiet neighborhood at 10:30 at night. I called the guest to let them know. There was no response. I used the doorbell camera to solicit the police officer who is now standing in my yard. He stated that the people were having a party in your house and they had blocked the street with cars from the front to the back of the neighborhood and there  were at least 70 people in your house. My first thought was I never had a party at my house with 70 people. My second thought was🤬.WTF.

The police challenge: I tell the police to kick them all out. They kicked out everyone but the original 12 guests. The police went further to say they can't kick them out unless I am there. Due to the contractual obligation with Airbnb for their stay this was deemed  a civil matter to be taken up by a court because of the contract that the guests have with me through Airbnb. The police then turned the tables and said I need to calm down. When I stated they have violated the house rules therefore they must go. Really!!(clearly the donut and coffee people are not doing their job for the local police department). I called Airbnb and they said we'll be sure to escalate this to the highest level and will give you a response back between 24 and 48 hours. How would help? I have no idea? ThIs was a nightmare because I am so far away. Normally I might be able to take the religious approach and would thank the good Lord and my pistol and take care of any issues. But again I'm not there and it is a high end neighborhood.

What we need are what I call ground commanders who can take care of things that require a physical person to push the recycle bins to the curb randomly or show up to the door when the Dark Knight voice doesn't work over the phone.

I have three questions for the owner of this thread:
1. Can your software help with the situation I have described?

2. How do you  pronounce Asaawe0?

3. What does it mean?