Tough times

Dovran0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Tough times

Hi, I am an Airbnb host and I am experiencing tough times due to coronavirus. I demand a time machine so I can go back and make different career or business choice so this crisis would not affect ME.

14 Replies 14
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dovran0  I'm sure you're not alone in that wish right now.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One less-than-careful owner...One less-than-careful owner...

Hahaha nice1 thanks

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I might have bought more food 5 weeks ago.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

😄 LOL, yeah... like a doctor for example

Catherine2252
Level 8
Toulon, France

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

- I would not have put so many eggs in the Airbnb basket.

- I would have sorted out refunds directly with the guests rather than expecting Airbnb to deal with them fairly.

- I would have actually bought some eggs.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I found eggs yesterday.

Oh, the small pleasures in life! I can't remember when I have ever been so happy to buy eggs.

At least one positive that may come out of all of this is that we might appreciate the things we previously took for granted.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Huma0 

Why are eggs in short supply? I don't understand why they are still not back in the shops here in Derbyshire. Surely if people panic bought eggs they should not be buying more now?

Not having bookings is one thing - going without eggs is quite a different situation

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I have no idea! However, eggs continue to be an issue here. They are not in short supply (the supermarkets are getting them in everyday) but people keep stockpiling them! I guess some people eat a lot of eggs...

The only reason I got my six pack of eggs I guess was because that particular store (Tesco) started operating a one in, one out policy. All the eggs were gone, except for two packs of the most expensive, super duper, farm bred, organic, gourmet ones. I took one pack and left the other for someone else.

Also, a lot of people in London don't cook that much? Eggs are a quick and easy way to feed yourself or your family.

I'm just guessing here.

@Mike-And-Jane0  @Huma0 

It is just an speculation... something that sprang to my mind when reading this topic! 🙂

I think this problem with eggs is a trauma that comes from World War II. I had a neighbor (she was too old and has already passed away), who lived in London during WW II. She said that food was rationed at that time. Regarding eggs, each citizen could only have 1 egg every 15 days. The fear of not having food (remembering the ww II), maybe leads people to buy a lot of things beforehand, causing shortage. Here where I live there is a shortage of mouth-mask and alcohol hand sanitizer. However, so far there are still eggs in the supermarkets 🙂

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@J-Renato0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

Yes, the idea of food shortages/rationing sends some people into panic mode. There is also a domino effect. The first wave of people (the stockpilers) come in and buy up everything leaving the shelves empty. Slowly, other people, who can't get what they need feel forced to stockpile themselves as soon as they get their hands on it. 

Then there are people like me, who will still only buy what they need right now and try to have faith that people will stop stockpiling. The problem is, we have been advised that although we can go out to buy essential groceries, we should go as infrequently as possible. That is hard when you have to go six time before you find one pack of eggs. 

There is still no toilet paper, facial tissues, handwash, soap, sanitiser nor household cleaning products on the shelves where I live (and we have several supermarkets and convenience stores). This is despite rationing of these goods, which the supermarket staff tell me they are getting daily stock of.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I would have listed with VRBO like I said I was going to do last year.