Transaction

Akshay52
Level 2
Himachal Pradesh, India

Transaction

Hi Everyone

I am facing a difficult situation related to some transactions on Airbnb. I approached Airbnb support but it was not effective so i am asking here below. 

One of my guest wanted to cancel the reservation before check in and my cancellation policy is strict so he approached airbnb support and finally i approved 50% refund. Transaction was processed accordingly and resolution adjustments appeared in my future transactions. 

Later on, Airbnb support ambassador informed me that we have processed full refund to the guest and another negative transaction appeared in my future transactions. 

Now i have two future transactions related to this reservation where it is deducting 50% amount in first and full refund in another one. 

Please help  ! 

5 Replies 5
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Akshay52 

A few questions. What was the timeline of booking and cancellation? Why did the guest need to approach Airbnb, and why did Airbnb approve a full refund?

When it comes to cancellations, you should never manually refund a guest yourself, as Airbnb handles refunds. Under normal circumstances the correct course of action would have been: guest cancels, and any refund is automatically processed by Airbnb according to your cancellation policy, and you take no action. You may not have any luck getting the extra money back, but you can try asking the guest to do the right thing, or talk to Airbnb again.

Akshay52
Level 2
Himachal Pradesh, India

Hi @Colleen253 

Here is the timeline -

The guest made reservations for 31st July to Aug 15

It was cancelled by guest on 29th July, i approved 50% refund and transaction was processed accordingly. 

Later on, the Airbnb gave full refund to guest accordingly to extenuating circumstances policy and a new future transactions appeared with 100% amount of the reservation. 

Now i have two negative future transactions related to the reservation. First the 50% i approved and another 100% for full refund. 

Please note, all the resolution and transaction are handled by Airbnb. No mannual transaction or extras were made !IMG_20210804_144445.jpg

@Akshay52 It's still unclear why the guest approached Airbnb and the reason for the full refund. You mention extenuating circumstances. However, it sounds as though the guest cancelled and was refunded according to your cancellation policy (the 50%). They then went to Airbnb after the fact and brought up some extenuating circumstance that would entitle them to a full refund, and the support agent mistakenly awarded them them the full amount of the booking, when it should have just been the other 50%. Have you tried contacting the guest to ask them to send you back the amount they were over- refunded? If you don't have success with that, you will just have to be persistent with Airbnb. I'm sorry, but that may be an uphill battle. Customer Service is not great these days.

Akshay52
Level 2
Himachal Pradesh, India

@Colleen253 , yes, this is exactly the case. I have been following up since last few days and they don't even respond on the issue. 

Is there any way to escalate this further ? 

Regards

@Akshay52 You might try getting ‘noisy’ about it on Airbnb’s social media. Other than that just keep being persistent. Keep insisting for it to be escalated. Best of luck.