Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

Airbnb
Official Account

Tune in for a message to our hosts from CEO Brian Chesky at 3 p.m. PT March 30.

The coronavirus (COVID-19) has posed unprecedented challenges for the world, including our community of hosts and guests. This is a once-in-a-generation crisis, and we know hosts like you are feeling the biggest impact—so many of you rely on income from your Airbnb properties, and you’re facing a lot of uncertainty right now. 

Over the past three weeks, we’ve hosted more than 50 online listening sessions with hosts from around the world to connect and hear your feedback. As a follow-up, CEO Brian Chesky will be talking to you from his home in San Francisco. He’ll be answering some of the questions you’ve asked about our extenuating circumstances policy, how to host during COVID-19, and more.

Bookmark this page to watch his talk live at 3:00 p.m PT Monday, March 30. Can’t make it at that time? We’ll share a recording with you after the event. 

For more answers to your questions about hosting during this challenging time, please visit Airbnb.com/COVID—we’ll keep updating it with trends, tips, and information on everything we're doing to support our community.

Thank you once again for being a host. We hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy.

171 Replies 171

WOW. Between March 14 and May 31 due to a COVID-19 only? Most of our cancellations due to COVID occurred prior to March 14th. Who is making these decisions? 

Hi@Susan17 ,

Do You know how many airbnb-hosts there are worldwide?

I believe around 650000 - 700000 @Ute42. Impossible to tell how many still active though,, and to be counted, the host only has to have had one reservation in the last 90 days. 

@Susan17  

700000 hosts and 7 M listings? There must be a lot of professional hosts with many listings each.

Ok. If airbnb donates $250 M to 700000 hosts that would be $357 per hosts. Not much but sure much better than we expected as we all expected nothing.

You've stamped Your post upthread with: 11:00 pm IST • March 30, 2020

What is „IST“, is that Irish Standard Time? Ireland isn't 10% the size of Germany and You can afford to have an own timezone?

Lol! No I didnt timestamp that @Ute42 - it was the timestamp on the TechCrunch news article, which went live at the same time as our Bri did. 

I don't know what IST actually stands for but for sure, we have our own timezone here in Ireland! You've never heard of Irish time?? In effect, it means that if you say you'll meet someone at 8pm, it'll probably be around 9.30 before you finally saunter in (it won't matter though, because the other person will be on Irish time too, and they'll just be pitching up around then also)

Re the c.700K hosts and 7 million listings.. I'd take that 7 million listings with a massive pinch of salt. Nobody ever said they're all active listings. Or even that they've been active in years. And when they introduced that "duplicate listings" button, the tally shot up from 5 million listings to 7 million listings in two shakes of a lamb's tail.. it's all about the spin, baby!! :))

@Susan17  Well, the Irish and the Mexicans would get along great, then. "Mañana", if you look in a dictionary , can mean "morning" or "tomorrow"- those are the 2 actual definitions. But in reality, mañana, used in the "tomorrow" sense, just means "not today". So if you think the gas guy is going to deliver your propane cylinders tomorrow, just because he said he'd deliver mañana, you could actually be waiting a week, and most likely have to phone him again, as they never write anything down- he forgot about your order the moment you got off the phone.

I read a funny tweet from a woman who's in self-isolation, as are most of us- she said even though she can't leave the house, she's still late to everything.

@Ute42 Well, that $250 mil wouldn't be split equally between all hosts. For instance, I only had one cancellation for COVID- my last guest left the end of the first week in March, and the booking that was cancelled was made about the same time. After that, even though this is my high season when I normally get all my bookings, no one was booking, as many places were already locked down and people told not to travel. Pretty much everyone was aware of the pandemic by then. And the cancellation was made 10 days before check-in (I actually prompted my guest to cancel, as I wasn't going to have guests in a home-share with a pandemic going on), so with my moderate policy, even without the Airbnb COVID policy, the guest would have been eligible for a full refund. So I'm not owed anything, let alone $357.

That leaves my $357 still in the pot.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

Me again! Just to say the recap post is now available here in the CC–view it here: Key takeaways from CEO Brian Chesky's message to our hosts 

Thanks again,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Lizzie, 

This part "We’re providing updated coverage under our extenuating circumstances policy for reservations booked on or before March 14 and with a check-in between March 14 and May 31, 2020. "

Most of our reservations were canceled due to COVID prior to March 14th. This isn't fair.

@Boris145  I didn't hear or see anything that speaks to when the reservation was cancelled- only when it was booked and when the check-in date was. If your reservations were due to COVID and cancelled prior to March 14, then obviously they booked before March 14th, which this new info includes. I think you are jumping to a conclusion that the date it was cancelled has any bearing on this.

Am I or are you? Our reservations were canceled due to Covid in February for mid-February to March reservations, but according to Lizzie you only get paid if the check-in between March 14 and May 31. 

@Boris145  Ah, I see. You only mentioned when your reservations were cancelled, not when the check-in dates were. I understand your question now.

@Lizzie 

Hi, when and how will we be receiving the 25% of the cancelation amount? I've had 8 cancelation total in the past 2 weeks. Some 2 days before, 1 week, and, 2 weeks, all booked before March 15th. Our cancelation policy is straight, so for example, for the reservation that was 2 days before the guests canceled , the total was $1,360, would that mean we would be getting $340 back? Please let us know. Thanks. 

@Monique-and-Melvin0 No, you would get a lot less. It's a bit complicated. Assuming you have a strict cancellation and all your reservations qualify, you'd be getting somewhere around $162.

Michael3494
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie & Airbnb

I have been trying to contact airbnb marketing. My son races cars and we want to place airbnb on his car, with us being a host and moving our properties to airbnb, but need permission to do this. Isaac Smith is competing  in mini jcw challenge this year with 19 million tv viewers who watch and hopefully 420,000 spectators, british touring cars is bigger than F1. Isaac was just nominated as one of the top drivers in the country to watch.  

I have contacted and messaged airbnb but none of the numbers work ive been given or emails. 

Hopefully we can sort this as it will be a massive platform airbnb needs to be on,