Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Unauthorized party

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

Unauthorized party

Airbnb community - please HELP!

I need to get some response from Airbnb safety department. Guest threw a party in my place with intoxicated underage visitors. I called and called and called for help - with no much help offered. 
Any suggestions? How to get the safety department getting back to me? 

thank you in advance. 
Mariya W.

MW
30 Replies 30
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mariya24  You still haven't said what it is you expect Airbnb to do, whether the guest damaged things that you want to claim for, or anything to clarify what you are wanting to be done at this point. 

The guest lied to you and threw a party. You kicked him out. What do you want to happen now? If there were no damages and it's just a matter of the guest having violated your no party rule, there's nothing Airbnb will do about that, except perhaps ban him from the platform. You can keep insisting that they remove the review- maybe they will, maybe they won't.

However, you can leave a response to the review- "Guest was evicted for violating No Parties rule with 20 people partying in a home that was booked for 3, with a maximum guest count of 6."

I'm curious- can you explain why you have 3 listings for what looks like the same house?

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

Thank you for investing your time Sarah.

first -

I have total 4 units between two duplexes -( no violations of Airbnb regulations) and expending my business. 

Unfortunately, since there is a mysterious safety department case, none of Airbnb support agents can/will do anything to assist in any concerns/issues pertaining to this nightmare situation.

two urgent issues:

1. Addressing the claim that I filed already. 
2. removing damaging my business review by guest who violated not only my house rules, but also Airbnb rules/regulations. 
That review is affecting the rating of my property and the way how it appears in search. Not cool... I didn’t do anything to deserve that.

I can’t get beyond that “rest assured they will contact you soon”... 

last time I tried to get in touch with them on urgent matter, it took them over one week to finally respond to me - no matter they had 7 urgent requests by support team reps. It’s like a “black hole”... 

Any suggestions in regards of how to get that mysterious safety department contacting me to resolve both issues will be appreciated.

sincerely,

Mariya Wrightsman 

MW
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mariya24  Thanks for clarifying about the listings. You still haven't said what damages you are trying to claim for, other than the "smoke smell" you mentioned earlier on. Airbnb won't reimburse you for smoke smell. That isn't considered a damage, but you may be able to claim for extra cleaning. You can't claim for breaking of house rules, you can only claim for actual damages, have to provide proof and receipts. And may still be denied.

CS is swamped right now with all the COVID cancellation mess. All I can suggest is to be patient, and keep on them to respond.

I can assure you that your situation isn't unique. Many hosts have have had party scenes, with not 20, but 100 people and major damages. I know that's little consolation, but you need to understand that sometimes hosts get a successful resolution, and sometimes not. 

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

1. damages’ photos and invoices/receipts were sent to Airbnb help center. 
2. the review witch violation of Airbnb policy should never be allowed . Would be nice if Airbnb safety department would not let a guest like this post any reviews. (I sent all the disclosed surveillance camera videos to them ). 
on contrary, if Airbnb would just screen the guests - the nightmares like this would not be happening. It would also help with having less liability for both - the hosts and Airbnb. Or they should provide hosts the tools to do the screening of guests - that way they don’t have to hire more employees to do that job. (I would do it gladly). 
In the main time, I wish I could get Safety Department transfer this case to less busy Department so I can get so much needed help. (since there is no safety issue after party was terminated by police and guest was kicked out by maintenance personal the following morning).  . 

The Covid19 cancelations are mostly done by now. Safety department should not be handling much of that anyway - from what I understood, they are highly specialized department). 

sincerely,

Mariya Wrightsman 

MW
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I don't understand WHY you are doing bookings for vacationers right now? We are still under a shelter in place order until the end of the month. The state as a whole is taking a huge economic hit. There are many new cases of Covid showing up, especially in the Southern part of our state and the longer it takes for the curve to flatten & fall the longer the quarantine will have to last. Don't be part of the problem, I know things are tough economically but anyone who is going to book a vacation rental right now is a bad guest by definition & any one willing to host them is asking for trouble for themselves and their community.

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

Many good people are renting for their personal reasons. 
I don’t support COVID 19 hysteria due to scientific data. There is one of many studies  ran in 2017-2019... we never did anything in regards to that, but suddenly now we destroyed economy ...

“We estimated an average of 389 000 (uncertainty range 294 000-518000) respiratory deaths were associated with influenza globally each year during the study period, corresponding to ~ 2% of all annual respiratory deaths. Of these, 67% were among people 65 years and older.”

MW
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Mariya24  You might try getting the review removed for being 1) a lie, presumably you can prove there were 20 people or more having a party, and not 5 and no party, or, 2) under their 'irrelevancy' rule that the guest's one sentence review is not relevant to helping any future guests make decisions on your accommodation.  

But, this is basically how airbnb rolls, when a host has to take major action against a guest such as having the reservation cancelled or calling the police airbnb does not prevent the guest from leaving a revenge review.

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

Thank you Mark - great point 

both of those suggestion are relevant to this case. I sent them already evidences if that party and comment about relevance of that review, but as I said, it’s like a black hole when it comes to that special safety department. The simply ignore us. - hosts in a need of assistance 

MW
Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

So you don't think you need to follow the law because you have a set of alternative facts, right?So you accepted a booking from  a guest from the county with the 2nd highest number of cases in the state to come to your listing for a little R&R. It's all good  because you think old people, people with diabetes, heart trouble, immune function issues and  other factors we don't yet understand are less important than your cash flow, not to mention the medical folk who are dying from Covid at startling rates. And your knickers are in a twist because they had a party?  Nice set of values. I know a family that just lost a second member to Covid, first a lovely vibrant 60 year old nurse, a beloved mom, wife & grandma and now her daughter, a 35 year old nurse who leaves 3 little kids who lost their mother & grandmother in the last 5 weeks but hey, you aren't buying into the hysteria, you're just mad your guest didn't follow your rules, Wow

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

Sally, no need for you to be rude 

we all have rights to have our believes. 
watch the news - so many people share my believes. 
I didn’t mean this to turn into COVID 19 discussion.  

MW

@Mariya24 You are entitled to your beliefs. You aren't entitled to behave in ways which can put others who don't share your beliefs in danger. 

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

we are all responsible adults here. The ones who want to stay in self-quarantine should be allowed to. The ones who don’t - should not be forced to give up their basic constitutional rights.

Again - apologies - my request for help is not related to any of political questions.

If any of Airbnb hosts who read these posts have any idea how to get Special Safety Department responding to the hosts in needs - please share. If you can suggest how to pre-screen guest - please share.

And please take the political comments somewhere else - it’s at the very least disrespectful...

sincerely,

Mariya W. 

MW

@Mariya24  They aren't political comments. Public health and safety aren't political issues. Diseases don't make a distinction between which people they infect depending on which political party one supports. 

And you have already had many responses to your topic where other hosts gave you advice on how to screen guests and deal with CS.

Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

And I am very thankful for that - including your suggestions, Sarah.  
I just wish I can get the mysterious safety department releasing this case to another department or taking care of those two important issues. No contact attempts so far from them. Don’t know how to break that wall of silence :-(( 

MW
Mariya24
Level 4
Redondo Beach, CA

I want to share a conclusion - I got some great suggestions from people who offered help on here.
it all boils down to calling and calling and claiming again and again to customer care until you come across of one individual who pushes the right button. I was taken care of: that review is removed and claim is approved. Kendra (rep) reaches out to her supervisor John who assisted and ensured all my problems are solved. 
I wish everyone to find solutions to any problems sooner than later  :-))

sincerely 

Mariya W 

MW