Unprofessional and Incompetent Treatment

Unprofessional and Incompetent Treatment

Hi.
My family hosts a suite out of our home, it is an important part of our monthly income. We take hosting very seriously and have excellent reviews.

Our whole family got omicron for Christmas this year, and I informed our upcoming guests and canceled their bookings with the help of the superhost helpline. I was told there would be no penalty to me for canceling.  Our losses were around $800.

Then when we were 2 days from the end of  our 10 day quarantine,

On Jan 4. we got an email explaining that the Safety Team had suspended our account. Our listing was now invisible and any future bookings impossible but we were still allowed to host our 1 upcoming guest Jan 14th.  

The email said it would be turned back on in 14 days and to submit a dr note or negative test to have it turned on sooner. 

that same day I got another confusing email from customer support saying it would be turned back on in 7 days if we submit a statement that the unit has been cleaned to the standards of Airbnb. I cleaned and submitted the  statement and they did not turn it back on. Then on the 15th  I was told I also had to send proof of negative test results. I sent those in. On the 16th I got an email saying “my account access has been fully restored”. But not telling me I need to manually turn my account back on. 

So my account has been off for another two weeks that I could not get bookings for January or into the future hurting my income. 

This whole thing was confusing, unnecessary and very frustrating. It was  handled with a lack of respect for me as a superhost or even an adult.  I had already communicated with my guests and canceled their stays for my quarantine period. All you needed to do was tell me what your expectations are for hosts following a Covid quarantine. 

Instead you. 

1. Turned off my account without talking to me about it -including the ability for guests to book into the future harming our ability to earn future income on top of losing the bookings we had to cancel bc we had Covid.
  2. You sent two separate emails with different time frames and different requirements

3. We did what you required but were not informed we needed to go into our account and turn it back on ourselves (We were not aware of this feature).  So our account has been off for a month against my will when the only thing I did was have Covid.

We are looking into other hosting platforms that are more competent, professional and respectful of their hosts.  

@Catherine-Powell

3 Replies 3
Patience6
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

@Emilia-And-Chris0 

Thank you for posting this as I was going to post today a similar experience. Very unprofessional and incompetent. 
I was in Dubai last week and did a PCR test as I needed to attend the Expo but unfortunately my result came back positive. I was due to move to another apartment and did inform the host that I have tested positive and ofcourse they cancelled my booking not because I was positive but because I refused to pay for the entire 10 days when I was booked for 6 nights and they wanted a different rate. If you do a test on the 6th day and it’s negative you can travel back to your country. 
Anyway, that’s when my nightmares started. I eventually checked in a hotel and the following day, I received a message from Airbnb that they have  suspended my account and all listings could not be booked. I was shocked and really upset because

1. I have 4 properties in 4 different cities in different countries and not in Dubai

2. I was not staying in any of the properties as I was overseas

why suspend my account without checking the risk of me not being in any of the properties? 
not only did I lose potential earning but they took long to turn the account on. They didn’t even bother to call me. I have been an Airbnb Host for many years and this was a slap on my face.

I totally empathise with you as I felt the same way.

This incompetency is unacceptable 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Emilia-And-Chris0 @Patience6, I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I have passed this feedback on to the team!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi @Emilia-And-Chris0,

I understand that this is frustrating and I am deeply sorry about that. Thank you for reaching out directly. I have confirmed with the team that someone has reached to you to assist further. We appreciate your patience.

Kindly,

Catherine