Unrequested refund

Answered!
Ron275
Level 2
Second Valley, Australia

Unrequested refund

This may be an odd one but I would like to give a voucher for future use or a refund to a lovely couple who almost stayed with us.

They drove for 4 1/2 hours to get here and had asked to come in early as they were meeting friends for lunch, which we were happy with. They arrived at lunchtime, had a shower then went to lunch. Partway through lunch, the statewide lockdown was announced and everybody had to either go home or stay where they were for six days. The couple came back, picked up their cases, and drove home.

They paid for a full night and we don't believe they should be penalised. for having to leave early.

Is it possible to offer them a voucher for a discount if they come back or should we give them a refund. They have not asked for anything but we think the gesture might bear fruit in the future.

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

That's really nice of you. I'd just message them saying you feel bad that they had to leave again due to the lockdown, say you'd like to offer them a free night at some point in the future when life hopefully returns to normal. 

I don't like it when guests demand a refund, and think hosts should stick their cancellation policies as much as possible, but when they don't demand a refund, I agree that a gesture of goodwill, especially when it was a matter of something outside their control,  could lead to good things- they may book a longer stay next time, or tell their friends what nice hosts you were to offer and recommend that they book with you.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ron275 

You can not offer vouchers, only promise some discount on a future booking or make a manually refund via the resolution centre. But as it is not your fault as these things happen, maybe better to let it go.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

That's really nice of you. I'd just message them saying you feel bad that they had to leave again due to the lockdown, say you'd like to offer them a free night at some point in the future when life hopefully returns to normal. 

I don't like it when guests demand a refund, and think hosts should stick their cancellation policies as much as possible, but when they don't demand a refund, I agree that a gesture of goodwill, especially when it was a matter of something outside their control,  could lead to good things- they may book a longer stay next time, or tell their friends what nice hosts you were to offer and recommend that they book with you.