Unscheduled repair and not as described

Unscheduled repair and not as described

Hello, my partner and I just had an unannounced visit by a man. We're in a foreign country so we could not understand what he is saying and what is the purpose of this visit. He google tranlated briefly something about a leak so we kindly let him in but could not communicate any further. We ended up ringing our host and they chatted on loud speaker for a few minutes. We had no idea what's going on until they stopped talking and the host translated the purpose of the visit via text message. He was here to check a leak fix and if its still holding. After about half hour he said he's done and left. We are now unsure if the seal is damaged, will he be back unannounced again or is everything is ok.

We are here for a month and so far not very happy with the place. The ceiling is quite low in the bedroom and bending down is unavoidable if you're over 5 feet. There is also a faint smell of mold when you first walk into the apartment from outside. The apartment is quite cold with no radiators or any type of heating in the kitchen/sitting area hence maybe the mold smell? One last thing that happened our very first night is that the main fuse turned off in the fuse box. We had no idea what the reason was. I just turned it back on, but we didn't notify the host of it as it didn't happen again. 

Overall we are not happy and we would like to leave. What should we do and are we entitled to leave. 

2 Replies 2

@Bartosz18 You are always entitled to leave, but under the Long Term cancellation policy, you won't automatically get any money back. You'll have to negotiate with your host an amendment to the booking that would advance the checkout date and refund a portion of the rent.

For what it's worth, an unscheduled maintenance call isn't out of line when the issue is a leak in a multi-unit building, as it can involve an emergency in another unit. If the language barrier made it hard to understand what was going on, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. 

@Anonymous Thank you for your help. We will contact the host and try to come to an agreement. Appreciate your reply.