Verification code sent

Jack154
Level 3
Houston, TX

Verification code sent

I keep getting text messages that say, “Your Airbnb verification code is ####. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.” 
Why? I’m not trying to log in or anything. I wish Airbnb didn’t allow the use of phone numbers as a way to log into the app (in which case you would get this message). Is someone trying to hack me? -Jack

99 Replies 99

It is all frustrating. I agree. I had couple other incidents with the app, where I would love to get answers to, how is that possible. Not sure maybe it's just me, but this incidents happened way to may times, especially for the past 1,5 years. For example: I was talking on a phone to a friend of mine, how badly I would love to go to mexico, because I love to travel to mexico and my friend suggested to me a specific area in mexico I need to check out. Couple hours later I got a request on the app from a potential guest and guess what, the guest was from the area where my friend recommended to me to do my holidays.  That type of incidents happened to me multiple times, I go on google maps, check out new travel destinations, talk to my international friends and I would constantly get booking requests from guests from that areas I checked out. Sometimes I would switch my app modus on guest and look for places for myself to stay in countries I would love to explore and I would get guests from that areas. How is that possible? It even goes that far, when I watch a documentary about a specific topic, I get a guests with specific profession, which was mentioned in the documentaries. I don't find it necessarily disturbing, more astonished about it, but I would love to know what they use to make this possible? The recent bizarre incident was, I started getting guests who are also vegan, it went even so far, that one guest said, as she opened my fridge, she chose my home because I am vegan, it was very important to her, but I do not advertise here about me being vegan and it's not important to me having vegan guests, I mean it's nice, but it's not my goal here. I mentioned I would have many guests with same interests, which I don't all advertise here. Does someone else has this type of incidents too?

@Elisabeth40 Do you have an Android or iPhone?  As far as your TV, this article is really helpful:  https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/how-to-turn-off-smart-tv-snooping-features/.  Another good updated article from Consumer Reports is here: https://www.consumerreports.org/privacy/data-privacy-day-a-reminder-to-safeguard-your-data/. I hope you can access them.

Julieanna

I don't have TV for almost 18 years now and I don't watch TV, I only read books or sometimes I buy some documentaries I like on amazon. I am with apple, just because in my profession it's better, never had android. thanks for the links I will definitely check out.

Hello. I have Lifelock and since I have been getting these text messages I have found that two of my email accounts  and passwords have been discovered on the dark web. I would be surprised if this whole Airbnb texts messages have been the trigger. 

Kenton-And-Melissa0
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

I am also getting this security code text almost every day for the past two weeks. I called the help center and was told by the second person that Airbnb was having word wide issues was messages being sent by default from Airbnb and that they were working to resolve the problems.  

I am very concerned about Airbnb's lack of concern with internet security.  I had another more serious problem last August when I began to get room requests from unqualified users and scammers who were using fake listing. This was extremely annoying and dangerous for our safety and security.  I called Airbnb every day for over a week to resolve that serious problem.  I kept getting the same responses from the help center and no help at all until the last person who actually took the time to look into why I was having scammers contacting me through the Airbnb app.

Finally,  the problem was resolved and everything was fine until recently.  Now having other technical issues that I am working to resolve. 

I love the Airbnb concept and have done very well hosting. My biggest concern is that Airbnb is showing a huge lack of integrity with security and lack of support when there are any problems. 

@Kenton-And-Melissa0   Of interest perhaps to you,-- since I have filed a report with the FTC, I have not received 1 of these spam texts.  You can easily file here:   https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#

Julieanna

What makes you think these are spam texts and what do you think the FTC would have done about it?

Cecilia46
Level 2
Diamond Springs, CA

I have also received Airbnb text messages from 223-95 providing a verification code. The ones that seem to be bad have "qkpTe1dyOzl" after the normal message. Today, I received a text in Chinese characters from 223-95 that also ended with "qkpTe1dyOzl". The first few times I went directly to the website and changed my password. Today, I removed my credit card. The only device listed is my computer. Why and where are these coming from?

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, however, since I filed a report with the FTC, I have not received one of these spam text messages.  You can file here:   https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#.

Julieanna
Cecilia46
Level 2
Diamond Springs, CA

I have also received verification code texts from 223-95. This is the same number I get legitimate verification code texts from. These latest, strange texts always end with "qkpTe1dyOzl". Also, today I received  one of these verification code texts written in Chinese/Japanese characters that also ended with the "qkpTe1dyOzl."

Receiving the exact same message from same source.  Does anyone know if this is actually from ABB servers or just someone spoofing looking to collect cell phone data?  I have read receipts off on my texts so they are not getting a validation, but this has been going on for a few weeks now.  

I went in anyway and changed my password, removed FB/Google connectors and validated that the only devices attempting to connect to my account are my devices.  Called ABB but got no help, agent had no idea what I was talking about and sent a link to entering the validation code when changing my password.

Seeing posts on FB about this so hopefully ABB will speak up soon about what is going on.

@Jonathan6  I don't know if it's coincidence or not, however, since I filed a report with the FTC, I have not received one of these spam text messages from Airbnb and I had been receiving them almost daily over the past 2 weeks.  You can file a report here:   https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#

Julieanna
Rich24
Level 2
California, United States

@Julieanna0 You reported AirBnB as the company perpetuating the fraud?

@Rich24  I filed a report with the FTC simply stating the facts.  The FTC investigates everything from fraud to bad business practices, and yes, I listed Airbnb as the company.  If you start with this link:  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/assistant you can select "something else" and you will be able to report what is happening.

Julieanna
Denise1241
Level 2
Roanoke, VA

I have also received multiple messages just like those described above. Last night I got one in the middle of the night for the second time. It sure makes me think that someone is trying to log into my account.