Verification code sent

Jack154
Level 3
Houston, TX

Verification code sent

I keep getting text messages that say, “Your Airbnb verification code is ####. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.” 
Why? I’m not trying to log in or anything. I wish Airbnb didn’t allow the use of phone numbers as a way to log into the app (in which case you would get this message). Is someone trying to hack me? -Jack

99 Replies 99

Has anyone had a response from airbnb management?

@Nicky168  I haven’t.  I think they might be too busy fending off lawsuits:  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/technology/airbnb-hosts-pandemic-tensions.html?smid=url-share.  Oh yes, and while they’re spending money on fending off lawsuits, they’re also spending money on their new commercials instead of paying hosts.  It’s absolutely shameful!!

Julieanna

I completely understand why you are feeling angry and resentful. I also have a list of grievances a mile long! It **bleep**s me that none of the travel advice is relevant to Australia. People have been travelling around the country for months. I've had to knock back booking for the last 3 months. Then they advise that bookings are down from last year  - that's a joke! This time last year we had just endured a huge bushfires which lasted for weeks and the early days of COVID-19! Then they suggest a 39% reduction in rates to encourage longer stays. Given so many of us have done it tough through COVID-19, that's the last thing we need to hear. I can't believe that it has taken 12 months for them to get the 'cleaning pak' organised. Too little, too late. Then they expect us to feel sad for staff they have been forced to sack when we are feeling the effects of a pandemic!! And so I could go on.....and on........and on!

Cheers 

Nicky 

Hi Nicky. We had a response. It's an error in their system and they try to rectify it. No need to worry... that's what they told us. 

@AllanandUte0  Yes, that’s one of their “pat” responses. It’s almost unbelievable that they haven’t been able to rectify this little “error” in months! Of course, that’s assuming they actually know that it’s nothing more than a mere error.  Do other large companies, (like booking.com), regularly spam their contacts with these type of messages (that appear as if someone has hacked their user’s accounts), and get away with telling them to not worry about it?  I think not.  

Julieanna

Interestingly it almost always targets Superhosts!

Tom229
Level 2
Cherry Valley, IL

I get these daily and sometimes in Chinese. Airbnb should spend their money on figuring this out and not on weird advertising campaigns... oh wait, they just lost $3.9 billion. Nevermind.

Here we go again!

I just typed in the entire new message received today

at 11:40 am, and when I hit "reply" it would not send it!

"Error"

how did they lose $3.9 billion?

Anne971
Level 2
Kitchener, Canada

Yes, I am receiving daily text messages with a code to access my account.  What is it all about?  Is someone hacking my account?  I've changed my password, but it is still happening.  What is Airbnb saying about this?

It does not tell you to access your account. It merely gives you an unwanted verification code.

Emma158
Level 2
Tugun, Australia

Surely it’s time AirBnB took a more systematic approach to this issue and wrote to ALL HOSTS acknowledging this issue and telling us what they’re doing about it, rather than waiting for individual hosts to call the help center to be told “it’s a known issue, nothing to worry about”. They seem to be able to write to us when they want to promote cleaning products, so why not write to tell us about this security issue that’s causing us to be woken in the middle of the night to spam text messages repeatedly over several weeks. 

Cecilia46
Level 2
Diamond Springs, CA

Posted to this thread a couple of weeks ago. Still getting these texts.

Britney27
Level 2
Niagara Falls, Canada

I would not suggest changing your password after getting these text messages.  The fake texts come with symbolism before and after the message.  I unfortunately changed my password after the first text and now all the follow up texts are without symbols, looking to be coming directly from Airbnb site.  Think I was probably ‘tracked’ to the sign in and now some computer is playing the odds game trying to break/guess a verification code correctly to get access.   This is not a ‘test’

Trying again:

It is getting weirder: Received 2 messages from same sender (78156) within exactly 24 hours:

2/28/21 11:40 am and 2/27/21 11:40 am, new code 7575, yesterday's code 6402.