Views data.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Views data.

Anyone noticing any movement or improvement in their views count numbers? The zeros listings- are they coming back?

Just asking.  One of mine has suddenly moved from zero to 70 today- over a one week period. Does that mean they are

fixing the platform?

Susan
46 Replies 46
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Susan990 

I think that @Helen744 's comments above were about @Richard531 's listings, not yours.

@Richard531  being in Australia i can't compare with those figures. 26M people total, and i'm in one of the smallest states, we only have 2M people in the whole state! my daily numbers are lucky to be over 100, but like you I hardly ever look, it's really only when someone mentions it here that i get curious. 
I think so long as you are above "similar listings" and you're getting bookings, you're doing great! but you know that, and you cleverly got me to look at your listing, which boosts the algo. (be a dear and do the same for me, haha)

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Gillian166 Consider me a dear!  Looked at all 5!  Even clicked through the "rustic."  You're doing good things!  Need to ratchet up those reviews a smidge. 

Pop base is important!  But the listing itself is way more important.  There are a few top-1% listings in your market that are getting the massive views.  With time, a slew of 5-star reviews, and some fine tuning, it might as well be you!  

@Richard531  thanks for that! we had a couple of mediocre reviews when first starting out, (just the wrong guests really), so that's been hard to counter.   It's fine, we keep making improvements to our listings and our weekends are always booked, and I don't really care about the rating so long as we can stay above 4.8 for superhost.  coming into spring we should see people emerge from hibernation, though i was surprised how good our July was. We've been closed for the past 12 days as my daughter took a small break, so we lost some momentum, but today we are open and hosting again. 

@Richard531  oh i realise now you ran airdna on my area, do you fancy sharing the 1%ers with me, pretty please? (DM me). I've got a few who I think are doing well but would love to confirm. Sorry i can't afford your hourly rate, haha, but i'll save/heart each of your listings to my USA list of dream vacations.  

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Helen744 I cost $2,500/hour.  But I'll give you some free consulting.  If you do exactly as I say, you could dig out of your hole in less than a month.  I will assume that you don't want to invest any money, so I won't suggest any hard capital investment/renovation updates to your listing (but your place has INCREDIBLE bones/layout/elevations/structure and with $100K invested, you could be the best listing in the region).  However, can you come up with $1K to invest?  Oh, and this is going to be short and tough love.  You seem like a wise person, so take it and listen carefully.  

1. Your pictures are absolutely horrible.  Horrible quality, horrible lighting, horrible angles, horrible features, horrible everything.  Find a REAL PRO to come in and photograph your listing ($350 at a minimum).  And make sure they do daytime, twilight, and drone pics.  This is non-negotiable.
  2. Once your images are done, pick the BEST ONE to be your featured image; the other 4 images must be DIFFERENT and feature as much of the home as you can muster.  THIS is how you get your hangtime and hopefully start getting clickthrough.  Your current 5 pictures are all awful - and there're all of the same awful stuff!  
  3. If you're going to feature any people in the photos, have it be actual guests or models; nobody wants to see you.
  4. Have a landscape crew come through and make your landscaping look flawless.  Edge the walkway, trim the hedges, make the home's exterior look like the Ritz Carlton (and maintain it).
  5. There should NEVER be a vehicle in any picture unless it's a high-end vehicle.  And certainly don't feature an image with a vehicle on your freaking lawn, good lord!
  6. In your listing, one should never, ever, see an unsightly loose electrical cord.  Eliminate them (both for your pictures and the best you can once guests arrive (painted cord covers work well)).
  7. There is a trash can in view in your kitchen photo, get it out of sight.  Forever.  
  8. If you're going for a cluttered/tchotchke "homey" look in the kitchen, that's fine; but make it much more organized.
  9. On top of the armoire/free-standing pantry in the kitchen, there is a bunch of stored stuff; NOTHING that the guest isn't going to use should ever be out/in site. . .  Ever.
  10. There is a laundry basket in your bathroom picture.  Seriously?
  11. You find your homey art to be charming and you're proud of it; it's chintzy and looks cheap.  You can leave it as your décor, but stop featuring it in your listing photos (your photographer will know this, but just case).
  12. Your copywrite is abysmal.  Like, absolutely abysmal.  Riddled with typos.  You punctuate some thoughts but not others; pick one or the other
  13. Go look at my copywrite.  Tell a fun tale about your home in the "About This Space" section; how long it's been there, how awesome it is (because YOUR HOUSE IS AWESOME, but I can't tell it is from your lack-of story).  Then, use "The Space" section to hard bullet your awesome amenities listed from most to least important
  14. Learn how to properly space-type with punctuation (i.e. there is a space after every comma, and commas some directly after the word they are placed; 2 spaces after every period, and so on).
  15. Add keyless/contactless entry.  Let the guest decide if they want to meet you.  Chances are they don't.  Sorry, you're doing this to make money.  And you need to do what most guests want.  Most guests want keyless entry and to not meet the host.  And they certainly don't want to keep track of a hard key (and you certainly don't want to replace it when they loose it).  
  16. Stop talking about COVID-19 in your copy.  Period.  
  17. You are missing attributes (i.e. the verified speed of your Wi-Fi, the size of your TV).  When you're listing is incomplete, you get dinged by SEO (it's like being in the army and your sergeant makes you do push ups because your boot cuffs aren't properly ironed.  It's stupid.  But don't give the algorithm any excuses.  BE THE BEST YOU CAN).
  18. Either you are booked solid from mid-September onwards or you don't have your calendar open.  No wonder you have no views!  What is going on?  Airbnb gives preferential treatment to actual full-time STRs.  Are you a full time STR?  Then your calendar should reflect that.  Open it up!
  19. Your reviews are absolutely horrible.  Just horrible.  Being a 4.82 is a single 4-star review away from losing Superhost status.  That's so freaking bad.  And if you're taking this line of work even remotely seriously, you can't be flirting with losing Superhost status.  You are competing with hosts that are 4.99s.  Sorry, but you need to be a much, much, much, better host.  EVERY guest.  Not just 95% of guests (that's easy).  But with 99.9% of guests.  Your rating matters more than anything.  In fact, I'd probably abort this listing entirely and start over once you spruced up your place and have pro photos.  Ask Airbnb if that's OK with them first (so you're doing the right thing).  But your listing review specs are absolutely awful.  4.82 is extremely, extremely bad.  
  20. You need to fix the punctuation in your bio.  It's embarrassing.

If any of the above offends you, then you don't really want to be a better host.  But I think you want to do better.  So you won't be offended.  I'm offering you facts.  Do what I say, be a better host, and you WILL improve. And you will improve QUICKLY. 

I truly hope you do what I say.  YOU WILL SUCCEED if you do.

Good luck! (I'll bill you $1,250 later, I spent 30 mins on this!) haha!  

@Richard531 Thanks for the insights . I appreciate the truth telling , I am a dyslexic poet so that is probably where some of this comes from . I have recently decided to chuck it in and that is why my calendar is closed at the moment except for some odd days . I have just had some professional pics taken for the listing and we have been doing a full on spruce up .It is winter here at the moment but after the sale goes through then I will have a little time , three or four months to put all of your suggestions into use. I will certianly do so because I dont want to waste your time or consideration any more than you do . Thanks Richard . Watch this space .H

I did have one lady ding me very badly months ago  out of sheer nastiness , she went on to do the same to others and I  lost superhost for three months but have powered back with fives ever since. I am well aware my listing looks better in real life and the guests we do get love it but 4.99 might as well be Mount Everest lately. No one gives sixes. I will take every thing on board while presenting the house for sale . you will see how it turns out . Sounds like a challenge indeed . Thanks again . No . I do not have another 100k .  

"The Ritz Carlton 'made me laugh.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

Yes, it can only take one or two guests to completely screw your rating for quite a while. I got Superhost status not long after I started hosting in this house and kept it for 5.5 years. For the last 2.5 years, I never dropped lower than a 5.0* rating. Then, at the last assessment, I lost Superhost due to one 4* and one 3* rating. That's all it took because I host long term guests and had less of them in that year due to COVID, so every review really counts. 

All guests since have left 5*, so I'm confident I'll get it back sooner or later, but I am not sure that @Richard531 is correct in how much it matters. I am not sure that the majority of guests are that influenced by that Superhost badge, nor your overall rating. I don't think they care too much if a listing has a rating of 4.7* or 4.9*. To most people (not knowing the pressure Airbnb puts on hosts in terms of ratings), would think either of those are excellent.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 

If you struggle with grammar etc. then The Guardian and Observer Style Guide is a really useful resource whenever you are unsure of something. I am not sure if you can access it in Australia, but maybe you have something similar there?

Also, bear in mind that English spelling, grammar and terminology can vary from country to country, e.g. punctuation in American English is a bit different to British English (I am not sure about Australian English), but I don't think that's too important, especially if you host international guests. 

I did have one American guest complain though because I had listed the room as being on the 3rd (rather than 4th) floor. I have tried to clarify this in my listing, but no matter how I word it, some US guests still find it confusing...

the bit where the car is at the front is the driveway , not the lawn. Just looks that way because of the angle of the pic I think . We are on the part of the road that curves downwards so its tricky to take pics of the front of the house and keep things straight , but there is one spot. I am on it H

wow, I did not expect @Helen744  to take that so well, in the past she has not been so cruisey. kudos to you Helen. Much of this I've quietly thought for ages but i figured you were happy with your "style" and it was serving you well. Richard is right, your cottage is gorgeous and i'm not familiar enough with Ballarat to know if the suburb is good, but the bones of your place is a dream, you'd only have to ask myself and @Huma0 and we'd do a whole fantasy reno for free in our spare time, haha. 

@Richard531 as always I love the brutal honesty, so much better and constructive than the "just be nice/kindness matters" crowd, who get offended far too easily (over facts). We will never improve if all we do is ask for validation. 

I'm going to revamp my whole blurb based on your advice here, your clever use of bullet/star points and the arrow thing with the distance to local attractions is very helpful. I had started a map with this info on it but i think the text version looks better (even with my exceptional photoshop skills haha). I think that style is so much better for guests who skim, rather than reading a lot of poetic jabber that I wrote. 

@Helen744  Should you decide to not sell and do a refurb, I know of 2 melbourne based photographers who might shoot for you, or you could wait for me to cruise down to Vic in the near future (with my drone, provided it's legal to fly in your street, that can be checked). FWIW i think the pic of you at the front gate is actually nice. (except that the pic is crooked)

@Gillian166 I flounder in the deep end often enough Gillian and do get irritated, but I also appreciate honesty . I bought my cottage  about eight years ago and went with standard rentals and then fell into Airbnb . I started well and then covid hit , although Richard does not like that word . Victoria, my home state suffered the most severe lockdowns of any city in the world. The house I guess was neglected and we could not use it for a lot of that time , but it was always open and families with small children loved it because I deliberately kept it not precious , maybe too far that way.My pics have been on my phone and that would account for some probs although it is a better house to be in than to photograph . I shall be around for a few months anyway Gillian , so please feel free to buzz on by .The young women who have done the ads for the house, have taken some great pics, from angles I would not have thought of before , and I will try and show you some because good pics do make a difference. Things change in houses all the time but its not always easy to keep up with them.  I have heard some horror stories on this portal and some I will not forget in a hurry . I admire all of you who manage to keep providing hospitality to others when the world has gone topsy turvy . I will look for some professional models also Richard . I know a few  . H

@Helen744  found it, yes those pics do look good. all the best!