Visitor rang to say she has covid a d Airbnb gave them our tel no to talk to us about cancelling

Martin-And-Lesley1
Level 2
West Bridgford, United Kingdom

Visitor rang to say she has covid a d Airbnb gave them our tel no to talk to us about cancelling

Hello I’m a new host. 

A guest has called me to say they have tested positive and have a booking with us in the near future. 

airbnb gave them our number to talk to us about the booking. 

I am assuming they want to cancel. 

what are hosts doing ? 

airbnb cancellation policy doesn’t seem to accept this cancellation 

Should we accept the guest reason or question further in case they are just wanting to cancel and get a refund 

any help / advice would be appreciated 

thank you 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Martin-And-Lesley1 Firstly do NOT cancel on their behalf. You will be fined, a negative review will be left and the dates will be blocked in your calendar.

Tell the guest they must talk to Airbnb. Customer service will probably believe them if they say they have covid and cancel the reservation so you will lose out but at least there is a chance someone else will book.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Martin-And-Lesley1 

Guests have your phone number as soon as a reservation is confirmed.

I would tell the guest to cancel. Your normal cancellation policy will apply, unless you decide to offer an additional refund OR the guest persuades Airbnb to refund them due to "extenuating circumstances."

There is no point in questioning them.

Martin-And-Lesley1
Level 2
West Bridgford, United Kingdom

Thank you all so much very helpful 

it turns out only one of the party is unable to come and the lead is still coming.