We should all be working together!

We should all be working together!

I agree that it is irresponsible for someone to make a reservation and then not so much as make an attempt to reach out to the host regarding a cancellation. I think in that case the extenuating circumstances policy should clearly be written that you be allowed to keep 100% of the funds. My problem and although you may not like it as hosts is that I booked my travel well in advance of March 14 for two weeks in May and June in two different host places. The only response I get from Airbnb is that they are allowing refunds up for trips booked by March 14 but only for travel  that occurs by April 14. this pandemic will be nowhere near being finished by then.  Other than that any negotiations regarding refunds are between the patron and the host. I have been a loyal customer of Airbnb for years and always appreciated every host who has allowed me to stay at their amazing properties. That said, posting an extenuating circumstances policy on March 19 which predates most of the current scientific data about the pandemic and only goes so far as to remedy situations booked only  by March 14 with stays occurring by April 14 is adequate. I had one host that was so generous that she allowed an ecredit for me for me to use within a certain amount of time after April 14. That shows me that the host has the authority to alter their cancellation policies as they see fit especially in light of this global pandemic. It also shows me without ever meeting this person what kind of human being she is. In that moment, the host regained my trust in the system as we worked together as individuals to do what is right. The other host has not yet made such an attempt and again I have spent thousands on these stays. I truly enjoy Airbnb over a typical hotel to support host’s properties as if they were my own home. If we look at any major company such as Delta, they are offering unprecedented refunds and  ecredits that last an entire year. I am confused as to why Airbnb will not do the same thing for its valued customers. We are dealing with an unprecedented pandemic, and the mayor of Atlanta in which I live has just enacted a 14 day quarantine for everyone to stay at home to try to flatten the curve a bit to help with this disease. As you’re probably aware the CDC is located in Atlanta, and the many epidemiologists and scientists that I know personally do not think this pandemic will get truly be handled until late summer or early fall. If Airbnb does not change it’s extenuating circumstances policy, your businesses will undoubtedly suffer. I am a member of numerous platforms, and I can tell you that hundreds of thousands of Airbnb users are caught in the same situation I am in and are I unpleased patrons at this point. I thoroughly enjoy getting to stay at your properties all around the world, and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize that, but when I feel my 50% of my money which in this case is quite a lot under such dire circumstances the company has as unrelenting stance of a one size fits all model when it comes to rectifying these situations. Through my work, I have many connections through many news outlets, legislatures, and Congress. I am giving Airbnb one more week to rectify the matter, and then I will take it upon myself with the tens of thousands of other victims to seek a remedy. I am truly willing to meet halfway. I think if I hosts were to agree to give an ecredit that would make it more palatable by users than just keeping 50% of the costs. As owners, I appreciate you all listening to me as a consumer even if you disagree. You provide a tremendous value and experiences to people like me, my family, my colleagues, and my friends who can choose to use our money elsewhere. I have developed long lasting friendships with hosts in which I have stayed at their properties over the years. You all are good people. I am just asking that you revisit the 50% refund rule that Airbnb says is within your power regarding cancellation policies that were never written to encompass such a pandemic event. Again, if a patron fails to contact the host regarding a cancellation, I strongly feel the host should be entitled to keep 100% of the cost. We all have to play our part in making sure that systems works to both the advantage of the patron and the host.

State healthy,

Dr. Kenney **

[personal details hidden]

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kenney1  Good post and I understand your position. I've asked this question of other guests who posted here, upset because they weren't receiving a full refund, but so far, none have come back to answer it. So I'll ask you- as a guest, and one who has used Airbnb a lot and has respect for hosts, would you consider the host retaining, say, 20-25% of your payment to be fair? I understand that losing 50% can be hard on a guest, especially if we are talking thousands of dollars in reservations. But considering that the pandemic is no more the fault of the host than the guest, and that hosts have seen their entire hosting income disappear, almost overnight, would you think it fair that the host retain at least something? Hosts do put in time on a reservation even if a guest cancels before arrival. I probably spend an average of an hour communicating with my guests when they book, answering any questions they might have, emailing them a map and transportation info, etc. Should a host be expected to do that for free? Should a host lose their entire income while a guest gets refunded in full?

My short answer is sure, I would not mind reducing the amount that the Airbnb owner retained. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kenney1 , I'm sure it will be extended to future dates. It simply has to. I've cancelled all my future bookings and refunded, despite not able to afford it but it's a pandemic  so all rules for this is out. Some guests were cross with me for cancelling, still wanted to come. Well, they can rebook if they want later. 

I don’t blame you for canceling. That’s one of the reasons I like living in a country that upholds my freedom to do so. I have friends at the CDC, and we are in this for the long-haul. What we need to do as a country is to put some of these important debates to the side and try to figure out how to help one another especially these folks that own Airbnbs/small business owners/ hourly workers, and those that are being caught in the middle as well as the travelers that are out of pocket. In a nation like ours, I think we could think it through and come up with a solution. I bet if they put all of us on this email strain in a room together, we could come up with something that would work for everyone. I’m no Mr. Optimistic, but I do have confidence in my peers and that sometimes we can solve things at a local level that might be a little more challenging at a national level.

@Kenney1 

Well said.

I think some of Your wording will be used in Brian Chesky's tomorrow video broadcast.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kenney1 

Yes a future credit would make a lot of sense and many hosts on this community board have been asking for that but, as far as I am aware, Airbnb has only applied future credit (in some cases) to their own fees. Your host offered this to you and that is great, but it would be better if Airbnb put in place an official system for hosts to do this, to give the guest more peace of mind.

You trust your host, but what about others who are not so sure? I have one guest who told me she would be willing to take a future credit rather than full refund. However, when I offered to discount her stay if she came in future, she told me that was not an acceptable solution. If the credit doesn't come via Airbnb, she's not accepting it. It needs to be more official.

Unlike you, she won't consider my offer of a further discount (along the lines @Sarah977 suggested where she gets most of it back and I keep a small amount) either. She will not consider me trying to rent out the room to some one else in order to give her a full refund, so she's holding onto the booking with the intention of cancelling last minute.

Otherwise, nothing but an immediate 100% refund or Airbnb credit will do. The guest will be coming to London eventually to start a new job, it is just delayed but changing the dates is no good as she doesn't know her new dates. A future credit would have been ideal and avoided all this stress and friction.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Huma0  Yes, there needs to be some official way of offering credit or a discount for a future stay, for sure. I can fully understand guests not trusting that a host would follow through on that- I've read many guest posts where they say the host promised to refund them in full, only to have the host not follow through on that promise. It's a shame that people do that, but unfortunately it's sometimes the reality.