What am I doing wrong: Do I not get it? Why did Airbnb hide a recent review way down at the bottom and post a recent review first.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

What am I doing wrong: Do I not get it? Why did Airbnb hide a recent review way down at the bottom and post a recent review first.

I just don't understand.  Why did Airbnb post the most recent review way down on the list  and post an earlier review but 4*at the top.  I really try hard, I am willing to do whats necessary, but am I missing something?  Our condo, we purchased and entirely remodeled in August, has a review stating that it needs to be refreshed, everything is brand new, other than the doors, which we can't change due to HOA, however everything inside is brand new, up to date, guest never communicated any displeasure other than review, so I was a bit stunned, however my next review was excellent again, so I think all is good.  Then I look and the next review is hidden at the bottom.  I have no understanding as to why.  I don't know this people, I offer all my guests the same amenities and communication.  I should note, the previous guest didn't communicate at all and the next guest very pleasantly communicated.  Why am I being punished?  What am I missing?  Thanks for your help.  

1 Reply 1
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Michelle1851 

Michelle, it's hard to give a definitive answer to your review problem because Airbnb keep on changing the format and the workings of the site, all we can do is give an answer relating to our experience. What I am about to say may not still be correct......but it used to be!

With regard to review placement, the formula is a little complex!

Reviews, as seen by the guest, are displayed in order by the nationality of the guest.

What this means in basic form, you may list in Colorado in the USA and all English speaking guests will see your English/American nationality reviews chronologically displayed....they will be seen in order starting from most recent.

If someone from Germany looks at your listing they will see any reviews given by previous German guests first, and these will not be in chronological order. If someone from China is looking at your listing they will see previous Chinese reviews of your listing first.

This was done by Airbnb to make it easier for guests from different countries to assess whether your listing was a suitable fit for their culture.

It is possible the nationality of your guests could have something to do with how your reviews are displayed.

Cheers..........Rob